• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about flashing the 9800 pro to the 9800XT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenshiro

Hi guys, I just have some questions to ask before I try to flash my vid card. I know this tread here tells the procedure to flash the vid card.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=270479&highlight=9800+pro+flash

I have some issues about the flashrom files and the bios. I know i have to dl a file to make it a bootable disk, then I will move the bios file, and the flashrom files into that disk.

(1) I have the ATI 9800 pro 128Mb card with samsung ram. The only bios i see for the 9800XT are all for 256mb cards. Can I use those bios files?

(2) There are many different versions of flashrom. Which version should i use?

Flashrom v2.25 89.1 KB
Flashrom v2.23 85.8 KB
Flashrom v2.22 85.8 KB
Flashrom v2.17 216 KB
Flashrom v2.15 211 KB
Atiflash v1.6 204 KB
Atiflash v1.5 204 KB
Atiflash v1.3 204 KB
Atiflash v1.0 201 KB

(3) If i am to use the later version of the Flashrom. I did notice that after unzipping the files, they don't contain the file DOS4GW.exe. Should I import that file from the older flashrom, or should i just leave this thing alone.

Please advice..... Thanks.............

If you were attempting to flash a 256mb 9800pro with knowing for sure that it was a R360 core then I would help you, but if you plan on flashing R350 9800 pro 128MB with a 9800XT256mb R360 core then only thing I could tell you is to download ATI tool and overclock it to xp speeds if at all possible because you are about to attempt to flash a 9800xt256mb on to a 128mb pro these two card are structured differently and your taking a big risk in fact you would be better off tossing it up into the air and letting it land on the floor a couple of times, but I will tell you this if the risk don't concern you there is a 9800XT128mb version bios that someone has made but the only benefit you are going to accomplish is it being clocked to XP speeds and that's why with this particular card it would make more since to Use something like ATI tool and some better cooling.

I will check my card tonight and see if it has the R360 or R350 core. Thanks.

I thought some people still get the R360 core in their 128MB version card.

I dont know about that but I do know the 9800xt is built on the R360 and so are most of the newer 9800pro 256MB versions but I have yet to see a R360 core on a 9800pro 128MB version, but this dont mean there arent any I just dont think they are making them on the R360 core but I am sure if there is somone will respond to this thread and confirm.

Just a dumb question here.

If I take of the heat sink on the vid card to check the core, will I be able to put it back without too much trouble?

yes it is easy to remove just be careful but before you do any off this get ATI tool and see if it will overclock stable to XT speeds cause its not likley that the cooling on your card is good enough for the task.

ACtually, I had overclocked previously with redeonator, or some o/c software before to XT speed. I think people said you can push the card further if you flash the bios. That is why I want to flash it.

Back