• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

yipee free trash pickup day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evan

Registered
well today is the free trash pickup day in my part of my town... so tonight i will be going out looking for some computer stuff to do some modding too.... yestarday we found more monitors to count along with several old comps which are being torn appart as we speak. today hopefully ill find soemthing decent to use as a mp3 server.

If it's like my community, the normal trash collection is limited as to what can be disposed of. So every so often the city has days assigned where they will come by and collect anything that you have to dispose of. It's like a Junkfest. People will put out anything. You get the usual items like old couches, stoves, etc. You can go down the alleys and pick up nearly anything before the city gets it.

It's great for cooling parts. Over the past few years, I've picked up maybe 2 dozen or so compressors from fridges and about a dozen tossed a/c units. The companies downtown also paticipate and I've picked up whole computers from them. Most of it is junk, but you get a gem evey now and then.

orthus said:
If it's like my community, the normal trash collection is limited as to what can be disposed of. So every so often the city has days assigned where they will come by and collect anything that you have to dispose of. It's like a Junkfest. People will put out anything. You get the usual items like old couches, stoves, etc. You can go down the alleys and pick up nearly anything before the city gets it.

It's great for cooling parts. Over the past few years, I've picked up maybe 2 dozen or so compressors from fridges and about a dozen tossed a/c units. The companies downtown also paticipate and I've picked up whole computers from them. Most of it is junk, but you get a gem evey now and then.

exactally.... basically spring cleaning where everyone throws out the stuff that they have been wanting to throw away but no pay extra.My town is like 40000+ people so the have trash pick up throughout the week, my part of town is tonight hopefully i can get soem hds or some cd burners or something.

You would be amazed at the size of theese piles..... and the size of the trucks that the "minorities" use to pick up the scrap metal and sell it by the pound

uhh, sounds like a lot of very legal fun. why is "minorities" in quotes? are they somehow not actual minorities? anyway, i wonder if that kind of thing happens in new orleans... that would be sweet.

Evan said:

You would be amazed at the size of theese piles..... and the size of the trucks that the "minorities" use to pick up the scrap metal and sell it by the pound

I think he is talking about the Hispanics. No offence to any here!

wish my town did that i have to go to the dump and slip the guy a 10$ bill then i load the truck up and he lets me roll out

i have some sweat junk my school junks (P3 xeon server o ya like 6 hd in that baby runs as my house server (movies mp3's ect)

@ school.. if i could get it.. a dual 300 slot 1 p2. With USB, SCSI, IDE, we have a case for it thats like 7 bays for HD's...

SRUT (Students Recycling Used Tech. ) is the program its participating in, its also a class at my school.. if i can take that dualie home... that would kick ***.

This should be in GCRD.

But anyway, I get tons of stuff from school. 20gb HDs, a dual WAN hotbrick, CD drives, cases... Ish like that.

cool, i looked on NOLA's official website, but couldn't find any information, no surprise there. this day sounds like a great big fun thing, i hope i find out when it happens. so far all i've been able to scavenge from the roadside is only heatsink parts and non-working monitors... maybe some day i'll find something good...

nothing good... it was raining really hard the whole time it sucked

orthus said:
It's great for cooling parts. Over the past few years, I've picked up maybe 2 dozen or so compressors from fridges and about a dozen tossed a/c units.

What do you do with 2 dozen compressors and a dozen tossed A/C units?

Back