• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help... opinions too.. NEED MORE COOLING!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

russm

Hello, i am running a 2400+ at stock frequency right now, the daily room temps have been about 90f aprox 35c i think... ?
i am using a thermal take volcano 12+ at full blast, with 6 case fans, and my idle CPU temp is 52c or 125 f.

what is the risk factor of this temp, cause in games i go up to about 57c... i dont even want to talk about the temp of my radeon....

but is this very bad? or can i do this for a while, cause i want to water cool, its just that during the winter the volcano was doing a hell of a job.

opinions comments?

thats pretty high..
have u tried using a better thermal paste and remounting the heatsink?
As for ur radeon, why don't u try getting a vga silencer from svc.com they're cheap and good.

Well, that is really bad for temps. Here is my suggestion. Have you tried cleaning the heatsink recently? Make sure there is no dust in your comptuer, use a vaccuum and make sure to keep the base away from your comptuer. just use the tube part if it to suck on things that you are sure will not fall off. My friend did that last night to his comptuer and his temps went from something like 47 to about 35 that's a 12c drop from just taking off the dust. He had good temps in the winter too. Doesn't hurt to try.

Since you have a high ambient temp(35*c) there may not be to much that you can do to improve the cpu temp. However, you may get a fairly noticable performance boost by ensuring the following things:

1- Location, computer is located in an area that allows air to flow freely in and OUT of the system. Do not put your case into the corner of a room etc.

2- Airflow, make sure that you have a majority of your cables tucked, strapped, taped, and minimized from the inside of your case. Even if you had high cfm fans, if you dont have a clean interior it will severley hamper the performance of your air cooling. Give your AGP card some room to expel warm/hot air aswell. If you can keep the first PCI slot clear than you can either keep your current cooling solution or go for something like a zalman heat pipe, vga silencer, vantec iceburq4, etc.

3- HS and fan, remove your Heatsink(HS) and fan and give it a good cleaning. IE take just the HS and run it under warm water to remove all the dust and crap stuck to it. clean off the fan blades so that there isnt an imbalance that causes excess noise and performance drop. While you are at it, clean the bottom surface of your HS with some form of alchol based cleaner, something like isopropanol(rubbing alchol) so that you have a shining, clean, and dry surface to apply thermal grease/compund such as Arctic Silver 3 or 5. Apply a paper thin layer of thermal grease to the bottom of your HS with a credit card or xacto knife blade. Once you remount the HS and fan you will have to let your thermal grease break in, this will take time so give it a couple days of computer use before you look at the difference.

Well, although this stuff is pretty basic in concept, if you put it to practice you will notice a significant difference in system temps. All the best and hope your CPU heat quelching is successful :)

-2iC

ive only used the HS for about a month, so it cant be very dirty... i use Arctic silver 5 for thermal paste, and my computer is ontop of my desk with easy flow in and out... i do have tons of wires in my case... but with the 1000 devices i have... theres not much i can do.

and i vacuum my case once a month, so its nice and clean. i think the summer heat is just going to kill my comp :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i use a hardcano 12 to monitor my temps... Currently, CPU- 52.5c
Radeon 57.5c
PSU- 40c
Ambient- 39.5c
im going to check out the vga silencer... how many C decrease will i see with those?

and whats the best solution for water cooling at a good price for a cpu?

any idea on those globalwin stand alone units?

i think its the mobo i have exact same mobo and get really high temps but have about 20 fans and a huge HSF and it says 50degrees but on my old mobo it said 40 degrees and if anything my HSF is alot better as i upgraded and yes my HSF is clean and seated properley prob just a crappy sensor

tell me about your case fan placement, and the direction they are pushing air. If you have a side blowhole, have it blowing air in, the front fans should be blowing in, and since the rear "exhaust" fans as they are normally placed, should be turned around and be intakes since they are normally parallel with the heatsink and work better pushin air onto the heatsink. The top blowhole(if you have one) along with the psu fans exhausting air should be sufficient exhaust. I noticed about a 3º drop all over by just switchin the rear fans to intakes.

If you go wc, just search the WC forums and find what most people use.

Chevette heatercore, whitewater cpu block, good pump, and a t-line.

39.5°C Ambient??? Whats your Case Temps??? Or do you mean 39.5°C Case?
If thats your case temp that would put your Idle Temp 13°C above your case. Not bad but a little high for a V12, i get average 7°-8°C above case at Idle with fans on about 4,000rpm and it dont go a great deal higher than that at load, so you could probably improve that a good few degrees by experimenting with fan placement etc. Also lapping your HSF and doing a duct could help too.

As long as you dont go over 60°C at load you'll be ok. Even if you do i still wouldnt worry that much. I've run in the 60's at load for months without a problem, maybe just the very occasional lock up. Those processors are good up to 85°C but its recommended to keep them under 70°C really.

I dont use the mobo to monitor the cpu temp... i use harcano 12... with the thermal sensor placed under the core where teh pins are in the center. so the temp is very accurate.

about fan placment..

2 fans blowing in the front
1 fan blowing in the bottom
1 blowing out the top
1 blowing in the side
2 blowing out the back
2 PSU fans
volcano 12 cpu fan
radeon 9800 pro (heat monster)
and i have 2 cold cathodes ( do they create heat?)
and the room temp is about 30c
case temp is 39c
radeon 54c
cpu 52c
psu 40c

i dunno... i guess the temps are reasonable considering how hot it gets in the room, would watercooling bring me down into the low 40's? while ambient is 30c?

Honestly if your room is that hot I would not even consider watercooling. You will just be throwing your money away IMO b/c you will still be warm in temps but will be better than your heatsink.

yeah im gonna have to agree... the thermaltake coolers are just about the best air coolers you can buy. if you have poor thermal paste or placment you might not think its doing its job.

but i have triple checked mine, and im using AS5... i think its just cause its so damn hot in my room, im buying an air conditioner today... so i think ill be good for now.

yea everyone here is giving u great advice. i had the same problem as you b4. my ac was broken and was putting out 54-55 at full load. this really scared me but after doing a little bit of research, these chips can take. after burning in my 2500 mobile at these temps it was p95 stable. now that my ac is fixed my temps have gone down dramatically. another thing i did to shave off a few degrees was leave the side panel off while running my cpu (i know its noisey). i also relocated my power supply out of the box as it was blocking airflow around my heatsink and was also blowing how air onto the chip. i also took off my heatsink and cleaned it up and made sure i had enough grease on the cpu die and heatsink (AS5). now my 2500 mobile runs at around 44-45 full load stable so i'm happy with that. just contain your problems and do some trial and error and i'm sure you will find a way to brings those temps down. if not, trust me your chip will be able to handle those high temps and you should be able to have your chip running for few years. unless you are really trying to keep your cpu for the next decade, i wouldn't worry about the high temps too much. i might be in the market by the end of this year for a new A64 and i've only had my mobile for about 5 mos. gl...:thup:

Thermalrights are the best heatsinks out there, not Thermaltakes.

They shouldn't do that badly though. I hear they benefit well from lapping the base as often they seem poorly finished. Just make sure that your heatsink is clean and free of debris, and make sure the wires are as tidy as possible for the best airflow.

Considered dremelling out the fan intakes? On my case they have an awful lot of metal to some rather small holes. Make sure there is room around the computer to let air get into it, keep it out of sunlight etc.

If possible have air conditioning on in the room the PC is in. And finally, lower the voltage if possible.

how much of a gain would i see from switching to all round cables and doing wire sleeving? cause i do have a boat load of wires in my case.
again does anyone know if cold cathodes, despite there name, create any heat?

i atached a picture just for reference... and i have a link to a cool movie i made if anyone wants to see the beast in action.

heres the link demon movie

another thing, i have my PSU working to about its max... possbily more :eek: even tho the air is being blown out... could this be adding heat to my case... i was thinkin about buying a newer better one, im using a allied 400w. and im pushing about 435w max.

Attachments

• 107_0751.jpg
    107_0751.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 242
Alcaholic.. Joke

I would say that round IDE's are great, but they dont do all to much good, but if they are clogging up fan entrys then they are good to be added, also i didnt think anyone still had gery flat IDE's ?

The only way you will see a drop in temps is to get your ambient temps down. Your computers temps are directly related to your ambient temps. If you drop your ambient 10 degrees then your computer temps should drop 10 degrees. I would start there and see if that helps.

Back