• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

z-680s or a Home Theater in a Box ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pcgod718

Ok, i know everyone is loving those Logitechs.. But here's a question.

I have an audigy 1 platinum (internal live drive) connected to a Cambridge DTT2500 (it was great in its day a few years back). :D

But with these HTIAB (home theaters in a box) systems going for around $2-300 for a fullblown 6.1 decoder, and speakers, Should i still opt for the logitechs? How would the z-680s compare to a true 6.1 receiver and some OK speakers.

The Audigy has the digital outs, spidf outs all on the live drive, so i figured i can get a true digital output to a real receiver with some serious wattage and speakers.
I know the the HTIAB speakers arent all that, and u get what u pay for, but at least i can always swap out speakers later on, no?

And with gaming and mp3s and 3D video being all the hyped up rage these days, perhaps the "computer" speaker industry is just as hyped?

Anyways.. what's your opinion.

Thanx

I've never heard a HT in a box system, but I personally would pitch my ProMedia 4.1s against a set any day.

I think you'd be better off with the Logitech's. Sure they're computer speakers but I'd wager they're better quality and built compared to the boxed HT.

well, to give you an idea of a htiab system check here.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/502399062
the point being, i probably wont ever need a sound card upgrade as im using a real dolby decoder, using the digial outs of the audigy. The speakers can always be replaced at a later date, and most htiab can push 100w or better per channel and the receiver has all the audio/video inputs i ever need.

I guess the real question is, are the logitech speakers really all THAT good when compared to standard audio speakers, and does the decoder make that much of a difference.

Also, on a technical aspect, if i plug the digital out of my livedrive into a receiver, completely bypassing all the cables in the back of the audigy, will ALL my sound (games, mp3) come out from that connection, or just 'Digital audio' like from a DVD movie.

Thanx

Check out Kenwood's home theater in a box systems. I have one hooked up to the optical out of Soundstorm, whooohooooo. They are reasonably priced too.

Hmmm......The first one that showed up looked alright, but the sub looks wimpy. Single 6.5" driver. Computer speakers will blow that thing away i nthe bass department. As for the rest, the amp looks decent, not the main speakers so much.

:eh?:

so what you're saying is, given the opportunity between plugging your soundcard into a logitech z-680 decoder/speaker set or a decent HT receiver and some decent speakers, you would go for the AMP solution?

i guess what im getting at is, does the HT receiver make that much a difference connected to the digital out of an audigy (or any soundcard for that matter) ? or is it simply all in the speaker system? what if i took the speakers only of a logitech z-680 system and hooked em up to a HT receiver, would it be that much better or exactly the same as if i left em connected to the lil logitech decoder?

Ugh, tough question.

To me, decoding is decoding. I don't think the receiver would make much difference except for giving more options to play with (not a big deal to me). I'd stick with the logitech decoder.

ok.. i think im getting a grasp.
As far as decoding and amplification the logitech would be on par or better with most midrange receivers and speakers.

now let me add to the scenario and see which way you guys might go. Normally when i buy things, i buy with expansion in mind. thats why im thinking of a HT receiver

I do some video editing at times, play videogames from the pc, and my ps2, video capture from cable. Im on the verge of getting the Dell 2001fp which has various video inputs on the back. I also have an ATI all inwonder with its various ins and outs on the back, and a digital cable box. (yea i sorta kinda live in my computer room)

I noticed the z-680s have 1 digicoax, 1 toslink and the standard analog fare for connections. While most receivers have 4 or more connections, and they are usually all digitally connected.

I was planning on going toslink out from the ps2, audigy, cable box, spidf out from the ATI to the decoder (be it the logitech or a HT erceiver) and from the receiver i can do digital out to the audigy's inputs and whatever video flavor i require for the ATI card.

I anyone out there running something similar to this, or am i just beggin for problems?

its possible, as long as u have something in between the speakers and the computer. Thats part of what this thread is about.
If your home speakers are hooked up to a receiver or amplifier, then all you need is the correct cables to connect the soundcard to the amp.

Get some high end Logitech or Klipsch speakers, it'll be more simple and sound just as good. If you're going for home-theatre surround for your PC get good stuff, not 300 dollar boxed sets.

My 4.1 Klipsch setup blows away my dad's 500 dollar everything-in-a-box Sony Surround. They go to higher volumes without distorting and the Klipsch sub blows away the Sony.

If you're going with Home Theatre just get high quality stuff. Like I said earlier a lot of the in-the-box solutions sound horrible, and the tiny speakers plus the sub put together leave nothing for mids. Also those tiny speakers are fairly easy to blow as well from my experience. Just stick with more simple computer setups if you don't want to lay down the money for a good home theatre setup.

JBL 5.1 Cinema Home Theater Speakers w/ DVD & Receiver
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1499&item=5702630264#ebayphotohosting

auction usually ends for around price of Logitech Z-680s. are they worth comparing in terms of quality? h--- no. computer speaker have a place and home theater has a place. computer speaker's place is below 150$. after that it is real speakers domain. likwise buying home theater equipment for under 150$ retail is dumb. speakers from walmart are going to sound like crap.

bobmanfoo said:
downside of the z680 is the 10% THD

wow, i knew it was bad. but i had no idea it was that bad. where did you find that spec?

*edit*
i cant read the language but..
http://hardware.no/art.php?artikkelid=5891&side=2
10% thd confirmed.

(for those that are wondering why i care, with home theater setups anything higher than 0.08% THD is considered low quality. this logitech has 100x more distortion that the minimum spec receiver.)

Last edited:
pcgod718 said:
:eh?:

so what you're saying is, given the opportunity between plugging your soundcard into a logitech z-680 decoder/speaker set or a decent HT receiver and some decent speakers, you would go for the AMP solution?

i guess what im getting at is, does the HT receiver make that much a difference connected to the digital out of an audigy (or any soundcard for that matter) ? or is it simply all in the speaker system? what if i took the speakers only of a logitech z-680 system and hooked em up to a HT receiver, would it be that much better or exactly the same as if i left em connected to the lil logitech decoder?

Speakers will always make the biggest difference in any audio configuration.

Back