• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i do this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BLOB

i was planning on geting athlon xp 3200+ for the computer im building (first time) ..i heard its better to get the mobile 2600+ though and overclock it to 2.4ghz (?) can someone explain how to do that??...

To achieve a XP3200+ rating it is simply a matter of setting the multiplier and FSB in your bios to 11 x 200 respectively (2.4Ghz would be 12 x 200 or any combination of multi and FSB that comes to 2400). If it doesnt boot at that frequency you may need more vcore than what it shown as default in the bios. However I would say that as you are new to building computers you read all the various stickies concerning overclocking on this forum and rather than go straight to that combination - start at a multi of 11 x 166 then go up gradually. Ideally your board should either have a 1/6 divider or beter still be a NF2 so that the PCI/AGP is locked to avoid any possible corruption of peripherals.

@__@... ok... u know wat.. i think ill just gowit the 3200+ to be safe... xD lol

Buying a XP2600 would be cheaper - however if you feel uncomfortable about overclocking then go with the XP3200. A few hours reading would save you some cash and may provide some additional entertainment.....

Back