• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do i specify where i want my apps installed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

Serious noob question here...i installed winex the other day. It said install was successful, but i cannot seem to find any traces of it.....it never asked me WHERE i wanted to put it like windows does. My main hard drive is apparently almost full, and i have a 10gig secondary i used to have windows on it...but it was acting up and i decided to go mandrake 10. Im VERY impressed with this OS. Its fully Office 2003 compatable as well...

thanx in advance guys..i know this is gotta be a simple one

from a shell prompt issue

which winex

sometimes you need to be root, depending on the distro

or,,,,

as root issue slocate, when that completes, issue slocate winex
I think that is the way you do slocate,,,somebody correct if I'm wrong

I'm not aware of any way to specify where winex installs. It may be possible, but I don't know it.

Most rpm type installs do not let you specify a directory.

Ok, if you are using the GetWinexCvs script, or getting it from cvs manually....

Make install will install winex to /usr/lib/winex, and install a shell script which runs winex to /usr/bin (which should already be in your path). To run winex, type cvswinex *appname.exe*. The script will be named winex if you do a manual make install from the topsrcdir, and cvswinex if you use the script.

Remember, Linux programs are not stored in the same way windows ones are. Occording to the rules, full static binary programs should be installed to /opt, such as Firefox or Thunderbird, or a binary game like Tribes 2 or Enemy Territory. Other software will get its libs stored in (usually) /usr/lib, it's executable binaries in /usr/bin, ect. al. Since all linux programs share libraries, it is useful to do this and cuts down on space immensely.

Just search your c drive for the basic c++ runtime files (msvc***.dll), and see how many copies of each lib you have installed. I have no less than 7 different copies of msvcr71.dll installed all over my C drive. On linux, you use 1 copy of the lib, and the various different programs that use it simply use the same file. This is much more efficient, and when using Prelink, is much faster than even the less efficient Static binaries windows apps ship as by default.

Back