• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

52C idle temps???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doormat

I'm sure something isnt right. My 3.0C SL6WK is at 52C idle per the bios on my ic7 max3. It also reports my core voltage at 1.45V. I dunno if the board is screwed up or what (I flashed it to the latest bios).

I've remounted the HSF. Antec 92mm casefan (2800rpm) as the fan on the HSF. Case open, ambient is 84F/29C.

My voltages read low, even though I have a 480W TruePower PS...

This makes no sense!

SL6WK L347B211
pack 2/26/04

First, the high temps are about normal.

The board reports CPU temps anywhere between 8C to 13C too high. ( tested this by turning off the fan to see when the thermal throttling kicks in-- it should kick in at 68 C, but the BIOS reported 81 C before the throttling kicked in. So, your idle temp is actually around 39-42C idle, BUT That's with HT off.
HT off temps are always higher than HT on---especially the idle temps.
When you boot into windows, and HT becomes enabled, you will see the CPU temp drop even more, maybe as low as 42 C (In BIOS).

Another strange thing is, the BIOS voltage drop seems to act like the CPU is under load (but it isn't). I think the HT off idle voltages are lower than the HT on idle voltages also...

This could also explain why the HT on idle temps are lower than HT off...perhaps the CPU is "more idle" when HT is enabled than disabled.

I could test this later...

OK, so I"m up to 3.55G, 1.65V bios, 65C temps reported. I tried 3.6 but it wouldnt go, P95 errors almost immediately. I guess I shouldnt expect much from this chip... lets see if it lasts overnight.

doormat said:
I'm sure something isnt right. My 3.0C SL6WK is at 52C idle per the bios on my ic7 max3. It also reports my core voltage at 1.45V. I dunno if the board is screwed up or what (I flashed it to the latest bios).

I've remounted the HSF. Antec 92mm casefan (2800rpm) as the fan on the HSF. Case open, ambient is 84F/29C.

My voltages read low, even though I have a 480W TruePower PS...

This makes no sense!

SL6WK L347B211
pack 2/26/04

52 °C is high for idle working
which termal paste u have
try with artic silver 5

My new 3.0C SL6WK is idling at 29*C, full load 34*C @ 3.6 Ghz on my Abit AI7. That is watercooled however ;)

Abit boards are known for over reporting temps, so if that is the case, my CPU would be running at ambient temp, heh

-Chris

I'm going to drill a hole in my IHS and use a temp monitor to get the actual temps...

I use a -10c modifier on MBM5, idle @ 32~c but needing an AS5 re-apply.

~t0m

Yea, I thing 3.55G, 1.65V is as high as its going. I've been priming it and it seems stable. I was hoping for more but oh well.

Back