• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

power supply for master 2 far

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tbaerg

Registered
Hey dudes,
I'm looking for a power supply for my master far2. It runs fine with one opteron, but two is just too much for it. i'm using a sparkle brand 550W. Let me know what i need. Thanks in advance

Tom

Wow... That's quite a punch in the gut there if a 550 can't handle that...

I'm not aware of anything above 600W. But I was reading up on a forum once where you could over-ride the output of the PSU by changing the fuse.

If yours is a 1-10 wall recepticle connection, then your fuse is a 5AMP (I think AMP). Which 110x5= 550W.

I have not read up on this alot, nor do I reccomend you do it as you could overload the circuit board and possibly catch your computer/you/house on fire. If anyone knows more about PSU's than me I'd be appreciated if someone could clear my theory up?

Hopefully not in a "ohmagawd j0 nuub!" way, heheh :D.

Only thing I can think of is getting two identical 550w PSUs and (correctly) wiring them in parallel. That should double your available wattage, but I'm not sure if it's been done. It's really only theoretical.

Basically, if you do it, and something explodes and burns your house down, it's not my fault.

You could try a Zippy/Emacs 600w+ server unit, but they're really costly (even more so than PC Power and Cooling - one of the companies Zippy supplies to). Here's a link to the 700w unit, which is really just two 350w units in one case: http://www.amastore.com/zips70posuwi.html

The PC Power and Cooling 510w units may also do the job.

However, I find it strange a Fortron 550w can't handle the load... in what way is it too much for it?

since i put in a second opteron 244 I can't even boot up. the fans kick in for about a half second and then everything shuts down. Then I have to either clear the cmos or completely unplug the power supply and wait 5 seconds before can try again. I thought that I might have a short somewhere in the case, but so far I haven't been abale to find anything to support that theory. Additionally, I can't boot outside the case with both processors either. Could it be my memory? I have two Buffalo pc3200 512mb modules. I can't get the computer to boot with them both in dual channel mode. If I boot in single channel (banks 1 and 3) then I have no problem. I tried booting 2 processors with just one stick but no luck there either yet.

Weird... perhaps the Fortron needs an RMA, it should be able to handle the system assuming that 8 pin 12v connector is plugged in. Have you tried the other Opteron in the board by itself to make sure it's not dead?

Not sure I'd blame the memory, but then again I don't have a dual Opteron system to play with. Someone with more Opteron experience could help you a lot better than I there.

try unplugging everything cept mobo and vid, see if it works then if that works you might try hooking up a 350-40 att psu to run all drives and accessories
*my 2 cents*

~Magick_Man~

I have found that inserting any RAM of any kind into banks 2 or 4 results in a memory error that prevents the board from booting up. Any suggestions? I'll be taking the mobo out of the case in a couple minutes to see if I can get the mobo to boot with the second processor.......god this sucks.

Tom

Some guys over on 2cpu.com have told me that you have to have identical stepping Opteron's to run SMP.I hoping that's not the case or maybe there is a work around for it. I'm checking the stepping right now and will update in a second. Any thoughts on why I can't use banks 2 or 4. They were working fine a couple days ago, and now nothing. Weird.

Back