• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C800E-D + prescott 2.4A + vapo LS = 4Gig possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d]g[ts

Aside from why I wanna try this, and any ram limitations if any. How many people think this is possible?

Anything's possible. It'll probably tough to do, but you might get close. You'll need 222 FSB for 4 gig, so RAM won't be a big problem. Any BH-5 RAM will work and most PC3500 RAM will handle it. Heck, Good PC2700 or average PC3200 will work if you don't mind using the 5:4 memory ratio.

Yes 222 FSB is no issue for the 875 chipset, But my worries lie in the voltage needed ( this board will only give 1.6 to pressies) and weather I have enough cooling for it. I just want to do a 4 gig intel CHEAP :) Cant afford to buy a new 3.0C and hope, but maybe try to trade for 1 ATM.

More opinions please

If you give a Prescott more than 1.6v, you are risking a meltdown. Default vecore is less than a Northwood. It was 1.3875 on the 2.8E that I had. I'd wait for the new D-0 stepping Prescott that was supposed to have been released last week.

Last edited:
I would'nt go that far anyway. never put that much into a northie either. But if I were close to my goal I would want to push it just that little bit extra. and be sensible enough to not stay.

I have a 2.4A from newegg in my little brothers PC that I built him running 18x200 for 3.6 ghz at 1.465 volts with a Zalman 7000 CU for about a month now.

I've heard of a few others that are even better then mine.

I would think it would be fairly possible on a good cooling system, I don't know how good the V-LS is but I'd think it was very possible with some luck.

;)

You wana make a cheap 4ghz machine, so you use a 2.4e (cheap) and a vapochill???

Something tells me you're missing something here :p

~t0m

You wana make a cheap 4ghz machine, so you use a 2.4e (cheap) and a vapochill???

Its not that I wanna build this cheap, but buying all kinds of expensive crap has set me back to a point where i cant spend more. All i want ATM is the cheap CPU. :) Tis a little confusing ain't it.

If you give a Prescott more than 1.6v, you are risking a meltdown

I'm willing to risk that thanks, But thanks for the warning.

Thanks for the replies so far.

batboy said:
The meltdown might not be the CPU, it could be the motherboard.

True story. Get some heatsinks for the mosfets at least. A 4 GHz Prescott with 1.6V is almost guaranteed to make the mosfets burn your fingers if you touch them. :)

Yep... what AudiMan and SlimGuy says. I was trying for 4 gig on water with my old Prescott and fried an IC7 at a little above 1.6v. Those mosfets were smoking hot. Here is a screenshot of the last attempt before I fried the mobo. Anyway, that's why I said you risk a meltdown above 1.6v.

CPUZ-CPU-prescott-3950.JPG

But, with a Vapochill and if you do some heat management on the mobo (like mosfet heatsinks and excellent case ventilation), then you will have a better than average shot at 4 gig, assuming you can get a good CPU. The new Prescott stepping (which are late in being released) should increase your odds too, if you can wait a bit. We're all pulling for you. Hope you make 4 gig.

My NB is modded already, by removing the top plate that said ASUS and pacing a 40mm fan on top. The mosfets I Agree would benifit from sinks since Airflow in that area of the board is good even without a CPU fan (120mm intake through WC rad for vid card, and 2 X 80mm out from back of case)
Just hope its possible cus my 2 nothwoods dont wanna go there, and I'll be doing this at the expense of hyperthreading which I do love. :(

Back