• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 2.4 Athlon Temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ramasi

Hi,
I'm running an AMD 2.4 Athlon with a variable speed Coolermaster turbo CPU fan and a copper heatsink. Using the gigabyte software that came with my mobo, (Easytune4), it shows the CPU temp is 56 deg C @ 3500 rpm. The case temp is 21 deg C. This is while the PC is not doing a heck of a lot except maybe running Word or some other prog. Come to think of it, it never changes much even when running top end games! The temp will drop if I push the fan rpm up but the noise is like a 747 just before take off! My question is this, is this temp okay like it is or should I doing something about it?
Thanks.

Hi Ramasi,
first of all Welcome to the Forum! :)

Your Cpu temps are higher for Idle, do you have used a very thin layer of Thermal paste on the Cpu? And which king of CoolerMaster HS are you using? the HAC-V81 generally perfoms really good.

Adriano

Wait a moment,
but you are using a generic heatsink with a coolermaster fan!? so you can try to reseat the HS, and in case you'll got same temps, consider a different HS, for example a Thermalright SLK700, cheap and very effective.
Use always a very thin layer of thermale paste, tie as much cables as possible to improve case cooling, and let us know :)

Adriano

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome! On checking the fans box I see that it is a CoolerMaster Aero 7+, with an airflow of 10.9-20 cfm. The heat sink is 80x80x51, made of copper thoughout. I've also got an 80mm extractor fan at the rear of the case. The 120gb Maxtor has a twin cooling fan cooler attched to it and all IDE cables are routed well clear of everything. When I assembled the system I used silver thermal paste, (just a thin layer), on the CPU and I've since cleaned that off and replaced it with a new lot, just in case!
Thanks for your help, any other suggestions?

Well, that's strange, coz this HS is not so bad at all, and Cpu temps are expected to be in the mid 40's at full load, which is your room temp, and have you just verified temps reported in Bios?

It could be a wrong reported temp, or a wrong seated HS.

Adriano

motherboard may need updating the bios.

Try flashing you're bios and the temps may be more accurate.

However if you're using a sensor then maybe its something worse, is it overclocked or anything?

Well for a start try using other Temp Monitoring Programs like MBM5 and SpeedFan and compare the readings you get with those. Your case temp is awesome, a little too awesome for my liking considering you live in South Africa so it could be wrong. Do you have air conditioning? Whats your ambient(room) temp?
What temps do you get with the side panel off?
Your case temps arent the problem it seems to be your CPU/Heatsink. You could try lapping the heatsink, doing a duct from your HSF to get fresh air to your HSF. Its a possibility that even though your case temps are good the ventilation to your HSF isnt, creating a hot spot thats keeping your cpu temp so high, running with the side off should help to determine whether this is the case. Point a desk fan blowing into your case if you have one and record the temps.
Also, is your system overclocked? If so how much and at what vcore are you at?

If all else fails you could look into getting a new Heatsink and Fan. What Heatsink and Fan have you got at the moment, the Aero7+? I'd have thought that would perform better than that.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS You might try running a different fan on the HS. Do you have a 45 to 70 cfm fan laying around..80mm x 80mm x 25mm, that you can test on your HS? :)

Athlon 2.4 temps

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who has taken time to reply. I think that I will try another measuring program to confirm these temps that EasyTune4 is reporting. Nothing in my system is overclocked, all is standard. The temp that EasyTune reports is with the side of the case open!! I can't see why it should, (if it is), so high, as everything has been assembled very carefully. I am begining to suspect that the readings might not be accurate. By the way, the room temp is arroung 22 deg C, fortunately its fall here and ambient temps are dropping!

Back