• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a safe overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ec6977

I have a P4 [email protected] with stock voltage. My current temp is 78 degrees far. That is with a volcano 7+ cooler. So far it runs stable. I am wondering how long my cpu will last at this speed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[email protected]
Gigabyte 2004 GT Edition Mobo
1024meg DDR400 (in dual channel)
ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256meg
120gig WD HD Sata

OCer'z have their 3.0c clocks at 3.9 and 3.7 some of them.....as long as temps are good and ytour stable then your good to go...and about the lifespan it should last for like 5+ years instead of 10 since your oc'in but by then you will have another CPU so dont worry about it just have fun and let go and OC!!!

78 degrees sounds a bit high. I would get a better cooling setup for that. I always recommend Thermalright SP-94 with a decant ~50cfm fan.

in the first moment i was thought that 78 degree is celzius ... but than i saw, its celvins

for long proc live dont raise voltage too much and take care of ur temps...

:)

Heh, after seeing the title and 78degrees i was like... :-o) but then i saw farenheit... phew.

Sounds like a nice OC, my 3.0c runs @ 3.6 undervolted, so if you have the ram i would try going higher :)

~t0m

that 78 must be Fahrenheit!!! LOL!!!
That's about 24-25 Celsius.

If it would be Kelvins that would mean -195 Celsius.
I think THG reached -190 C with liquid nitrogen.

It's also called Celsius (and Centigrade too) in English... at least in the American scientific community.

Just a reminder, we generally prefer reporting temps in C. since this is an international forum.

Actually, 78 F. sounds very low. Must be idle temp with low room temp. What's the load CPU temp in C.?

Yes that is farenheit. The hottest I have seen it was around 115 under load from benchmarking. As long as it will last for awhile overclocked, then I will keep it that way. It runs very stable. I thank you guys for your info. If you have any more advice, plz let me know as Im new to overclocking and I spent quite a bit on this system. Thnkz,

Back