• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting acurate temp readings. Noobie water cooler please help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AK_Bruce_LeeRoy

Registered
Hello folks

Just setup my first water cooled setup.

I bought a Koolance system.
http://www.koolance.com/products/product.html?code=CCS-A04&category_id=2

And Curently I am only cooling the CPU and North bridge.

This is the mobo I am useing.
SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2
http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=238

Ok my question has to do with getting acurate temp readings.

Ok obviously there is a a temp meter built into the Koolance system that has a probe attached to the bottom of the water block on the cpu. So I asume that is a correct reading.

Now whats really bugging me is the North Bridge temp on the mobo.

First just to note this mobo had no mounting screws. The heatsink was kept in place with a metal tension wire then hooks onto 2 loops mounted to mobo. So I was worried that the water block would not work. But the water block included a similar tension wire that fit perfectly. But was concerned I wouldnt get a good tight and flat connection with the NB. But I put it on anyway.

Ok now heres where Im getting confused..........

I used a program called AIDA32 and checked the Sensor and it is saying my Mobo is at 74 C.

Now I also have another system that is not watercooled with a stock Heatsink on the NB of the MOBO.

I used the same program AIDA32 and on this machine the MOBO temp reads 38 C.

So it freaked me out. I figured the waterblock I had on the NB of my MOBO wasnt set properly so I pulled it off and reinstalled the original heatsink on the NB.

So I go back to the AIDI32 and check the sensor and the temp has not changed a bit. Still reads 74 C.

So I am wondering where the inconsistency is.

Is this AIDI32 program giving me accurate readings?

And if it is why would my non watercooled system be only getting to 38 C?

So I guess basicly my question is how do I acurately read the temp on the North Bridge of my MOBO and is 74 C to hot for the NB?

Ty kindly for any help on this issue.

use soyo's hardware monitor - its configured for your mainboard and is guarenteed to give accurate temps. temperature difference that great obviously means that one is not accurate. the program AIDA32 (i have never heard of that) is more than likely wrong because it is not properly configured to your board. if you're going to use software, i would try motherboard monitor 5, it does more than just read temps, it covers all your important voltages as well. beware, though, because just like every program, its not entirely accurate.

Wow now im really confused lol

Ironicly after posting here I went and downloaded Motherboard Monitor 5.

Now when setting up MBM5 it didnt have the revision for my mobo so I chose the closest one.

Ok soon as I fired up MBM5 it gave me warning said my cpu temp was at 74 c

Now I really dont know what to think.

Ok the temp led on the top of my Koolance setup which has a probe attached to bottom of waterblock on CPU. THis temp reads 27 c.

I use the Soyo Hardware monitor and it says the CPU is 44 C

And as I said the MBM 5 program says my Cpu is a whoping 74 C.

Would I be correct in asuming my Koolance Case led is the most acurate sensor for my CPU?

And again Im still in the dark on the NB of the mobo.

hang on...

you have the temp sensor attached to the bottom of the water block?!?

verify that!

if thats correct, NOOO.

your overheating your proccessor, theres no way your getting the nescessary PERFECT contact between the water block and the cpu.

the sensor goes UNDER the cpu, use double face tape to stick it to the underside, and then the wires run between the pins.

the block needs to be perfectly set onto the CPU die with thermal grease.

the temp sensor is telling you the temp of your water block, which would be about 27degrees, while your bad contact cpu is overheating.

Im a noobie not an idiot lol

Im useing this waterblock........
http://www.koolance.com/products/product.html?code=200G-A1&category_id=3

Under the block is a cavity cut out for the probe to be placed.

Trust me this block and probe are installed correctly.

I dont think the MBM 5 program was reading my mobo sensors correctly as it didnt seem to have my mobo revision listed. I had to chose something similar and I beleive that is why MBM 5 is giving such strange results.

Np friend.

Ty kindly for the help thoe. If I had been that incompitant your advice would have saved me :)

And I have no doughts that their are MANy people that are that incompitant lol Im just glad im not one of them :)

well perhaps still check the seat on the blocks... always a good place to start.

but I would tend to beleive the external sensor if your sure its mounted in the right place ect. and if the 74degree thing was right; Id say youd be getting errors.

did you try looking at what the bios has for your cpu temp?

Yes the SOYO Hardware monitor which relys on the Bios reads 33 C for chassie and 44 C for the CPU. Only thing about this hardware monitor is it doenst give me any info about the North Bridge. Only SPU and chassiie temps.

I believe I remember reading when I installed mbm5 that it is not compatible with soyo motherboards. If so, then its not able to read the probe temps correctly. I would guess that AIDA is having the exact same problem mbm is. Aside from that... I'm not able to offer you any other advice.

EDIT:

after posting this, I went to the site for mbm, and I looked at supported motherboards. Yours is in fact supported, so I have no idea what your problem could be.

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/comp/soyo.html

I viewed that list aswell. But my MOBO isnt on that list.

I have the P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2

Closet one on there is the P4I875P Dragon 2 Platinum.

I tryed to match the sensor settings to that of the P4I875P Dragon 2 Platinum but it didnt match up.

your mobo might have the case temp sensor next to the mosfets like the abit boards mine are at 63 at the moment thats with 6 case fans it somethimes hits 80c if i turn my case fans off. try putting some small RAM heatsinks on them:)

Back