• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

safety first, guys!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Absolute Zero

i know you guys here this all the time, but always wear safety glasses. i live on a farm, and we have a couple of old tractors. well last tuesday one of the old muffler extensions came off, so me being the genius i am, i put a block of wood on top of the extension and preceded to hammer it back on. apparently i got a good sized piece of rust in my eye and by friday, i couldn't open my eye except in a dark room because the metal had made my eye extremely light sensitive. i went to the doctor where he used a optha-something that was basically a battery powerd dremel (if i wasn't in such pain it would've been cool) to sort of "drill it out." that wasn't fun. i had to go back the next day to get more stuff dremeled out. i'm typing this with one eye closed and the other one watering.

moral of the story - always wear safety glasses no matter how bug-eyed you might look and never live on a farm.

never ever ever live on a farm.

Holy COW I hope you're alright. Same thing happened to my autotech teacher, he was working on a mufffler and got rust in his eye which the doc had to drill out. He said the same thing you did...ITS NO FUN AND IT HURTS!!!! So now I ALWAYS wear safety glasses and everyone who does not just needs to think how fun it would be to work on and use computers blind or half blind. Try playing all you fun fun videogames blind.

~Peace

Get Well Soon

raise your hand if your eyes watered reading the story.

*raises hand, hates reading eyeball stories*

You're lucky they have that stuff widely available now. No such luck years ago when I got a spec of rust imbedded in my cornea.
I now have a period that follows my eyes around the page when I read.

The safety glasses are on the shelf above my monitor, and there's a pair on the dash of my work truck too. ;)

Lol, I was hoping my regular glasses was going to do it...looks like time to get professional safety glasses. =)

I tried looking at McMaster.com for some but I can't really find any particular ones that would fit over regular glasses and are cheap. Anyone have any recommendations and places where they sell them? :D

my boss got me snap on glasses (i work in a garage) after they drilled, so when i go back i'll have a nice pair. just find a local snap-on dealer, they're about $10 and their snap-on, the best name in tools. their tools are sold nationwide, so you shouldn't have a problem finding thm.

i've heard of people getting metal shavings out of their eyes with a good magnet before..... not reccomended but i've heard of it.

and yeah i have a farm, and i wear eye protection alllll the time. i've got 20/10 vision in both eyes, and sensetive ears. so i probably look like a goof with sunglasses, and my earplugs i use when i'm shooting.

just remember, that any form of protection is better than no protection. i wear some good sunglasses(oakleys) when i'm out working. it keeps things from getting in your eyes ranging from dust/shards of material to dangerous uv rays.

yeah, i went to the doctor to make sure he got everything out. he did a vision test, and in my right eye - 20/10. in the left - 20/40, but he said it'd heal to what i had before. by the way, i can walk around outside now with two pairs of sunglasses on (that arrangement of eyeware takes talent).

Last edited:
I learned that similarly..

Working with a dremel and acryllic.. No glasses (stupid me). Bam a small piece/crumb flies off the bit (usual always happens, except) and then hits my eye right on the tear duct.

Run into the house into the bathroom and grab the tweezers pull out a piece of plastic..

ALWAYS WEAR EYE THINGS... CHIX dig GUYS WITH EYES NOT GUYZ WITH A CDROM's CASING SHARD IN THIER EYE..

Since i am a prescription eyeglass wearer.. i went to my good old friend home depot and got those goggles that are like glasses, wear them like glasses. about 7 bucks, slip over my presc. sun or reg. glasses and work so well. i was cutting out a side of my 5.25 for my DC, and the dust was horrendus. even with a mask it was bad.

Dont think you are invinceible. I knew a guy, who was working on a 2 by 4 and using a circ. saw. the blade snapped.....

Those safety glasses saved his life. 10 bucks saved him. without them he would have been dead. all he got from it cause of the glasses was a cut that needed about 5 stitches and a couple minor cuts. without the glasses, he would be blind. spending 10 bucks to replace the goggles is smart.

10 bucks for your life...

think 10 dollars could save your eyes and even your life..

full face mask (the clear ones like for surgeons.. works like a splatter shield are also usable.. they look good on you if you are a catious person about looks.

th

i totally agree, i had bougt safety glasses a few months ago and just one or two weeks ago, i was working on an aluminum case with a dremel and i got aluminum powder was spraying everywhere, being the idiot that i am, i only wore my regular glasses, and then i got a bunch of aluminum dust in my eye (not fun) after that, i wear safety glasses

and if ur so concerned about safety with power tools, why not wear a welding mask? :D

hmm, goggels....maybe i should get some? the property of glasses states that everything in motion will go around the glasses to get in your eye, and its really bothering me.

owww that sounds bloody painfull, i just use a paintball mask. Still owwwwwwwwww

Lowe's too has some nice looking safety glasses with interchangeable clear/shaded lenses.
They have others ranging form the birth-control styles (impossible to get some while wearing them :D) to oakley types.

I think I'll just get the full face shield for my garage though, this face is too purty to get scarred. They're more easily worn with my filter mask too, while painting and 'glassing.

OUch! dude i feel your pain... wow.. that must have hurt. Good thing you can still see out of it. Im thinking of using a full face motorcycle helmett now..

-Orange Fire.

Ouch. Hope your eye heals up quickly.

This reminds me of a time my friend was grinding steel with an angle grinder. Of course he was too much of a man to wear goggles so he got a bunch of little metal shards in his eye. They rusted in his eye, and the doctor had to scrape the shards out. I don't think they were embedded deep enough for the doctor to have to use the rotary tool.

Back