• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Video Card for UT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sim

Yo, Right now I have an agp 32mb radeon VE. When I play UT over my lan about 10 seconds out of every minute everything stops or goes very slow but the music, and everyone else on the lan continues. after about 10 sec's it goes back to normal. I'm guessing the radeon just cant pump out the frame rate to play UT good, but single seems fine. So the qustion is which video should I buy to play UT without this annoying problem. My budget is about $100 with out shipping. Two cards I am considering are the VooDoo5 5500 and the GeForce2 Ultra. Also if anyone knows some radeon tweaks if there are any to increase preformance Please let me know. Thank You in advance.

what kind of NIC do you have? I was having a problem similar to that, except it would only freeze for a couple seconds at a time. You might try a different nic, or try moving it around to a different pci slot.
I finally tried an older ISA nic, and the problem went away.

hope this helps

that raden should be fine for unreal, even my rage fury pro can pump out 50-60 fps at 800x600 (everything else maxed out)

Yo,
I put in a different NIC and moved it to a different pci slot. I also changed my 3d to the thing besides software rendering. It improved a lot, but it still goes kinda slow about 10 seconds out of every 2.5 minutes. again any readeon tweaks would be appreciated.

yo? What the #$%@ is that? Lets try basic english. You (I presume that means yo) did not give any information as to what your system has in it. It would help to know CPU, MOBO, RAM and the like, this lets people make a somewhat educated guess as to a remedy for "yo" problem.
P.S. Why are you running UT in the software rendering mode in the 1st place?

Yo means Hi smart @$$
and with a name like Da Whip how can you critisize MY language. You are supposed to be a senior member helping people, NOT making fun of them.

For anyone else my system spec's are:

Abit KT7-A
Duron 800mhz (not o.c.'d yet)
256mb generic pc-133 ram
Afreey 10x DVD
Maxtor 10.2gb 5400rpm HD

And I had it on software rendering to try and correct the problem.

SiM

I'm sure you didn't mean it to, but that did come across as kinda harsh Whip.

That system should be fine for UT. I don't think it's your vid card, if it couldn't handle the game it would get choppy, not freeze like that. What drivers are you using?

the GeForce2 Ultra is way more than a 100 bucks more like 200. I realy think you have a problem somewhere else. I can play ut at 1024x780 with everything maxed on my geforce 1 256 ddr on a celeron an I dont have any problems.

I'm just using the drivers that came with the card. oh yae and sometimes it totally stoped and sometimes it was choppy, but now its mostly better.

Try downloading the latest drivers and see what that does. When does it tend to freeze? randomly, rythmically or in the midst of alot of action?

If your network card has the option to force 10 full as the
speed in the properties for the card in the network
neighborhood, you might try that.

I was having a bunch of problems trying to run a cheapo
Realtek 10/100 net card at 100.

We were using an x-over cable so no hub was involved.

Kept getting slow downs like you describe, and some other
erratic problems with gaming and windows networking.

Turned the card down to 10 full as the link speed duplex
setting, and everything stablized right away......

sim, How about a little humor, I was just poking fun. But on the other hand, yo is very sophmoric, makes you sound less intelligent than you actually are. I was just ribbing you. As far a Da Whip goes, that is what they call me at work, maybe because I crack the whip occasionally. Lighten up a little.

Da Whip, Im sorry if my post sounded harsh, but your post looked to me alot like an attack.

Ferrari, would you recommend that instead of using that $100 on a new vid card I get the 1.4 ghz 266fsb athlon?

sim said:
Da Whip, Im sorry if my post sounded harsh, but your post looked to me alot like an attack.

Ferrari, would you recommend that instead of using that $100 on a new vid card I get the 1.4 ghz 266fsb athlon?

Tough choice, but I'd say go with the Athlon.

Da Whip said:
sim, How about a little humor, I was just poking fun. But on the other hand, yo is very sophmoric, makes you sound less intelligent than you actually are. I was just ribbing you. As far a Da Whip goes, that is what they call me at work, maybe because I crack the whip occasionally. Lighten up a little.

That's called CYA -- covering your a$$. You obviously flamed the guy. Wait, I should say that in my humble opinion you were blatantly impolite and harsh.

Kiss and make up now... :D

Back