• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IE accessing localhost UDP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

klingens

Why is each program which uses mshtml.dll internally trying to access a local UDP port when it loads a html site from anywhere?
When I block that with the firewall, all those programs access the network very slowly.

What does it use that UDP connection for? And no, it's not DNS or such. It's always random high ports.

I would suspect that you have spyware or scumware on the computer. There is a known conflict with Gator/GAIN. Get Adaware here:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

or Spybot Search and Destroy here:

http://www.safer-networking.org/

and scan and remove the spyware. Oddly enough Adaware believes that Spybot is spyware, but if you set Adaware to ignore Spybot, both can run on the same system. Make sure that you get the updates.

No there is no spyware, trust me on that. This happens with a new setup (always behind NAT) and kerio personal firewall 2.1.5. Each and ever mshtml app does this, firebird et. al don't

For the last time: there is NO SPYWARE unless www.windowsupdate.com serves out spyware now since that was the only page I visited (IE tried to access msn as its homepage but I stopped it before it loaded)

And I already have a firewall which does exactly what I need: firewalling ports. I don't need any stupid popup blocker and filtering proxy which says it's a firewall.

Third and last: this box is behind a Linux NAT router so it's not directly on the Internet. There just isn't a way for it to have any spyware. Except the stupid Alexa thing IE has by default.

And every mshtml program tries to connect to local UDP (has been doing that for several reinstalls now). Does anyone know what I am asking or am I just wasting my time here with people who don't have a clue and say "run adaware and click next-next-next-finish to remove all spyware"?

Well did you run the two programs that we told you to run to make sure that is not the problem? Or are you better that that?

IE9 still connects to random UDP ports

I'm resurrecting this thread because 8 years later, IE9 still connects to random UDP ports on localhost, as evidenced by Online Armor.

QVvPg.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back