• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My VGA Mod [Lots-O-Pics]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cerberus2k7

Drifto Mexicano
Well, after lapping that poor thing I decided that it needed better cooling. Side note: 350grit gave me a smoother finish than what came from the factory! :eek:

Anyways...

The patient Sapphire Tech Radeon 9800pro 128megs...*Turns on the Tool song*

patient01.jpg

The doctor... AKA Insane sleep deprived mexican dewd

me03.jpg

Welp, got the card and pretty much just started pulling on it until it finally came apart. Man, that plastic is tough!

breakdown01.jpg

Next it was time to give that thing what it deserved! A good lappin'!

lap03.jpg

mmm...320grit goodness...

lap02.jpg

Actually after that it was already smoother than how it came stock. So for you people who have not lapped this thing, DO IT!!!

All finished

final02.jpg

What a mess!

final03.jpg

A floppy that was giving me beef a few nights back...

floppy01.jpg

Left its dead mangled body outside for everyone to laugh at

Last edited:
Onto the actual mod!

Don't forget kids...Saftey first!

goggles.jpg

Mexican pimp status... >.>

'High' speed fan meet mr. screwdriver...

broken01.jpg

Well, when thinking up a concept I didnt want 2 whiny little 60mm or 40mm fans on there. And an 80 wouldn't fit so I got out my old trusty unused 60-80mm UV reactive adapter and slapped on one of my blue LED fans. :D Should create some good pressure and kill that dead spot!

vgamod01.jpg

Alright, that's all done now it's time to mount it to the heatsink!

And Presto-Change-O!

finished01.jpg

Not done, but close to it. Gonna finish it up in a few. :D

Last edited:
Alright...the new VGA Silencer...

finished02.jpg

finished03.jpg

Oh yeah... >.> And I had some fun with that VGA case and fan also...Pics below :D

Last edited:
reserved spot
have you tested it yet? is any air getting thru the fins at all?
even though the blue stock fan had very low cfm it had pressure enough to move air thru the fins.
if you look at this thread you will see that this has been done before. and just as i had also thought that by removing the dead spot it would help airflow.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=290493

Last edited:
rhino56 said:
reserving this spot to talk about the back pressure from tight fins and case exhaust.:D

exactly :D wasnt this discussed in the VGA silencer modding thread? about the backpressure and all o_O

Nice mod, and 320 grit gave a better friggin finish? oh my Cooling-god! (omCg :D)

btw: i laugh at the floppy :burn:

Well I don't use any PCI cards so I don't care really :p

And don't worry, new pics will be up shortly. Just need to place it back on the card and slap some AS5 on it. :D

Alright, I didn't know what to do with the case so I did what mexicans do best. BURN THINGS!

burn02.jpg

burn01.jpg

And it's mangled dead lifeless body which I left outside with the floppy :p

burn03.jpg

what a waste the couldve been a spare fan because ANYTHING could happen ANYTIME to your fan mod and you might need a back up until you get things together but other then that great mod....i wanna kno cooling and OC'n results..im sure everybody does

rhino56 said:
honestly, i would have bought or traded you something for that.:cry:
As would others I suspect. You cooked a fully functional fan? For kicks? Oh the humanity!

I have 3 backup cards and 6 backup fans, so I don't think I need that dinky ol' thing :p And cooling results will be up shortly. Also need the AS5 to settle in so might just burn for a day

Damnit i needed a new fan for my Radeon9600 i would of bought that.

Nice cooler tho, i would be scared all that weight hanging from a 9800 pro

Damnit i needed a new fan for my Radeon9600 i would of bought that.

Nice cooler tho, i would be scared all that weight hanging from a 9800 pro

Well, this thing leaves me with one PCI slot :D Just enough for an audigy2. And my imagehost is being a pos so if pics are down, that's why. I have a pic of the card in the case but I can't even log in! Well, time to return this camera. Thing has the worst quality ever! Never buy an HP Photosmart 435!

Back