• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC-Temps Prescott SL7E8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

www.darkblau.de

Registered
My 2.4A Prescott (C-0) has an idle temperature of 49°C and 51°C load. is that normal???
my 2.4C northwood had idle 31°C and load 37°C (same cooler, same thermal grease)

can anyone please give me some temperatures to compare?

www.darkblau.de,
My 2.8e, before I made a case mod ran at 60C at idle and would hit 69C under a load{ this was on air and not overclocked}.

I made a simple cheap mod by adding a duct to the side of my case along with a 80mm fan which directs outside air directly to the CPU fan. Athought it still runs hot:mad: The temps really came down (42C at idle and 55-58c under a load) .These temps are on air using the stock heat sink and fan and it is overclocked at 3.59. Before the mod I would not have even tried to overclock it.

If I had to do it all over again I would not have bought a Prescott:mad: as they run just to hot for my taste.

I have some pictures of the mod if you would like to see them

Good Luck
Dave

Like my 2.4 Northwood I cant't overclock my 2.4 prescott to more than 3240. even when i increase the v-core i can't get higher frequencies.
is this because of my mainboard? abit AI7? or do i just have a bad chip?
it's surprising that i can't also overclock my northwood more than 3.24GHz, although the temperature don't exceed 45°C on load.
how can this all be?

[url]www.darkblau.de[/url] said:
Like my 2.4 Northwood I cant't overclock my 2.4 prescott to more than 3240. even when i increase the v-core i can't get higher frequencies.
is this because of my mainboard? abit AI7? or do i just have a bad chip?
it's surprising that i can't also overclock my northwood more than 3.24GHz, although the temperature don't exceed 45°C on load.
how can this all be?

Don't expect that D1 2.4C to overclock any higher than that. The M0 on the other hand would go a lot higher.

The Prescott tends to average about 10 degrees warmer than the Northwood. If you are hitting a brick wall with both CPUs, it's probably a RAM/mobo incompatibility.

The Prescott tends to average about 10 degrees warmer than the Northwood. If you are hitting a brick wall with both CPUs, it's probably a RAM/mobo incompatibility.
i've tried the abit is7-e and the ai7 so far, my memory: a-data vitesta PC4000 running 270mhz 1:1 at 2.6V memtest-stable.
i've tested lots of rams before.

Don't expect that D1 2.4C to overclock any higher than that. The M0 on the other hand would go a lot higher.
i actually don't expect that, but i'm wondering that the prescott doesn't get any higher...

I have idle temps at 37°C/49°C and load at 38°C/62°C. Your overclock might have something to do with the vcore. After reading around on this forum I have found that my motherboard lowers the vcore on load. So you might be having a similar problem.

[url]www.darkblau.de[/url] said:

i've tried the abit is7-e and the ai7 so far, my memory: a-data vitesta PC4000 running 270mhz 1:1 at 2.6V memtest-stable.
i've tested lots of rams before.

i actually don't expect that, but i'm wondering that the prescott doesn't get any higher...

Because your ram is maxed out at 270 fsb. Run Ratio 5:4 and you will be able to overclock more, unless your pc4000 doesn't like dividers.

[BBE]Jimbob said:

Because your ram is maxed out at 270 fsb. Run Ratio 5:4 and you will be able to overclock more, unless your pc4000 doesn't like dividers.

my rams definitely don't max out. my rams are very memtest-stable at a very low voltage at 270MHz. But above FSB270 my CPU won't work -> errors in prime95 and SuperPI.

@ pfx:
what do you mean? the prescott has a stock voltage of 1.4V.
my mobo-set v-core is around 1.37V. should i increase it? if so, up to what value?

edit: what about burning in?

my new 3.0C SL6WU 30 caps cpu is running 55*C full load (at 3.6ghz w/default vcore). that seems pretty hot doesn't it? :\ not even a prescott. and it runs like 40*C idle temp.

i'm tempted to try the new copper heatsink that came with it.. might provide better cooling than my zalman 7000-alcu?

Last edited:
Flakk: read my sig, I have around 60C full load temps with your Zalman and a Prescott! I think something else is a miss?! (I don't know idle temps, how do you do that?!)

Lancelot said:
Flakk: read my sig, I have around 60C full load temps with your Zalman and a Prescott! I think something else is a miss?! (I don't know idle temps, how do you do that?!)
are you saying my temps sound amiss or yours? i think yours seem normal for a prescott, but mine's a northy so I dont know if it should be that high.

Lancelot said:
(I don't know idle temps, how do you do that?!)
what u mean? you don't know how to check your idle temps? same as u check load temps. heh :p if you're asking how did i get them so low, i fibbed a bit.. upon second check of idle temps they are closer to 40*C

I have my prescott CPU hooked up to a CoolerMaster JEt Heatsink/fan in an Antec Sonata case..running only the one fan in the rear of the case. I have not gotten around to p utting a fan in the front of the case. My idle temps seem to be running at 43c/107ishf. What programw are around to stress test the CPu. Also those temps were with it Oc'd to 3700. the stock temp is 3400.
Thanks

Back