• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what tool to clean the edge of acylic?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Surreal

'Surreal please contact Krag ASAP'
Ok I have about 200 feet of raw cut acylic egdes to bring to a smooth shine..... It was suggested to me to use a joiner. It Is a tool which has 2 or 3 horizontal rotating blades. The joiner is designed to take a raw cut piece of wood and make it so when you place two peices together they fit without gaps.

I want to join then polish with a random action palm sander...

whats a good way?

ss

First off its a Jointer, i would just use sandpaper... the jointer would make it worse im my opinion plus its not a cheap thing to buy if you dont already have one.

I believe if you already own a jointer you can buy special plastic blades, but they are rare. If it is just your run of the mill jointer I think it satnds a gfood chance at chipping the acrlyic.

Sand paper and patience it is my friend.

Chipping? you'd be lucky, more than likely it would turn your acrylic into some nice sharp pieces.... a few thousand of them!! If all you want to do is clean the edge, you can use a torch. Sand the edges down to the shape you want, then just "flame kiss" the edges with the torch, you'll end up with crystal clear edges every time. Just be carefull not to hold the torch still in any one spot for too long as this will cause some bubbling.

tbones1337 said:
sander attachment on dremel or sandpaper on a sander block..
This will just lead to melting in most cases.

For beveled edges it might be best to start them with a table saw and then finish them off with sandpaper. In some instances you can heat the edges up to a glassy finish, but this is very difficult to accomplish without professional quality heating tools.

Just stick with 800 grit sandpaper. I used a fine file and after a while the edges were quite nice. Too be careful though because I managed to slice my finger open on the razor edge that was created while sanding.

I went out and bought a random action palm sander.... this worked great... I first used 80grit but did not go down to the 220grit yet.... was too tired last night...

sounds good... I will try to stick some 400 on my sander if it has too much motion I will just suck it up and do the finishing by hand.

Back