• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stupid Boy

Is two sticks of PC2000 in Dual channel as fast as two sticks of PC4000 in single-channel on the same system if all timings are equal?

Thanks

EDIT: Also, how would PC3200 compare to PC4000 at the same timings?

I'm wondering about how it effects performance of an Athlon XP system.

Last edited:
the speed rating of memory is misleading to some. pc2000 means the memory is CAPABLE of running 125 mhz. and pc4000 means it is CAPABLE of running 250 mhz. the actual bandwidth will vary depending on the chipset mb etc and if u run in dual channel or single channel. so to sum things up pc2000 running in dual channel will not necessarily be the same pc4000 in single channel.

That all depends on the system you're talking about. Socket A nForce boards, for example, see very little actual improvement from dual channel (though I've heard this is not so true of the 64bit processor boards).

I believe that Intel chipsets benefit much better from dual channel (but it would still be twice the performance at theoretical maximums, and nothing is ever as good as it's theoretical potential).

And then are you looking at this RAM in two systems or the same one? If you were running them at spec, then the memory bus speed for the PC4000 would be twice as much. Which you would think that having the two channels would make up for that, but not really.

If they were in different systems with cpu fsb speeds that matched the RAM then the processor in the PC4000 machine would obviously have a distinct advantage.

If it were in the same machine, one setup would have a cpu/mem ratio of 1:1 while the other would be 2:1. I don't have exact numbers handy, but the PC4000 in single channel mode would be faster.

Now, if you had some super overclocking PC2100 that you could run at PC4000 speeds, then it would be better to have them in dual channel.

Back