• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In need of some opinions/advice re: unlocking the T-bred

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

irishfanatic

Registered
I've come across a couple different methods for unlocking a T-Bred "b", and gave one a try on my sons 2200 AMD T-Bred last night. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I used the "wire method"
6.jpg

It seemed like a faster/cleaner alternative to using a pencil and conductive ink to bridge the L1's. Has anyone used the wire method, and if so, were you successful? Or, is it simply more reliable to close the L1 bridges?

Thanks very much in advance for any advice.

You cant unlock a Tbred B, I dont know where you got your info.

The only unlockable cpu was the old palomino, and the went up to 2100+'s and ran hotter than devils. Most tbreds are unlocked anyway, but if you did get a locked one, your sol because they are superlocked.

SFF Tech

I just finished unlocking the T-bred using a different wire mod than originally posted, but the link is one of the resources I found to employ a different method.

Virtually all Tbreds pre week 39 of last year are unlocked. Your confusion comes about because of a lot of mobos being unable to recognise all 5 parts of the multi in particular the 8x bit. Therefore with cpus with the 8x set to high (over 12.5) and mobos that only recognise 4 parts of the multi it would "appear" locked but they are not. That link is about setting the 8x to low (so 5th part of multi is not an issue) so you can adjust at least up to 12.5 and in some cases higher. For post 39 superlocked cpus they cannot be unlocked via any wire trick.

OC Detective said:
Virtually all Tbreds pre week 39 of last year are unlocked. Your confusion comes about because of a lot of mobos being unable to recognise all 5 parts of the multi in particular the 8x bit. Therefore with cpus with the 8x set to high (over 12.5) and mobos that only recognise 4 parts of the multi it would "appear" locked but they are not. That link is about setting the 8x to low (so 5th part of multi is not an issue) so you can adjust at least up to 12.5 and in some cases higher. For post 39 superlocked cpus they cannot be unlocked via any wire trick.

Thanks for your response OC Detective. You're right, the fact that my mobo was not able to recognize all five parts of the multi had me a bit perplexed after what seemed like hours of setting manipulations, then the failed mod. I used a Gigabyte GA-7VT600 mobo for my sons computer, and needless to say, overclockability was not one of its selling points. I just wanted something stable with a few settings to increase performance, and that's what this mobo delivers. However, I made the gross error of not spending the extra 25 bucks or so for a mobile Barton, which that board "likes". The multiplier was locked at 13.5, and that is probably due to the 8x issue that you described in your post. Oddly enough, I was able to change the multiplier after employing a different wire method that I found. I also changed some BIOS settings, so the wire trick may not have been the reason for my being able to change the multi settings. Regardless, I came out of this task I started with a bit more knowledge, and a need for one or two more case fans :thup:

I just went through this myself.

The wire trick worked for me, but it's not actually unlocking anything, it's just changing how the last mutliplier bit is read. The wire trick gives you access to the lower multipliers instead of the higher ones (max 12.5).

MRD said:
I just went through this myself.

The wire trick worked for me, but it's not actually unlocking anything, it's just changing how the last mutliplier bit is read. The wire trick gives you access to the lower multipliers instead of the higher ones (max 12.5).

I had read the same thing on a couple different sites, which is why I stayed with the wire method. Well, that and the fact that it was much cleaner/faster. The only thing I was after was the ability to up the fsb .

Back