• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading MP's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Macca

I have an MSI K7D-L running two MP 1800's and thinking of upgrading to two MP2800's, going to cost $340 so is it a worthwhile upgrade?

Also read some are running the athlon mobile processors, is this going to save much with the kit? I have no idea about this type of modding and to be honest i dont think i'd want to do it myself. If this is a better solution does anyone know of anywhere or anyone who can do this for me? TIA.

I would say it is not worth the money to just install 2 MP2800. It would be worth the money on the mobiles if you could mod them and there cost is .Around 200 dollars and ya have a good shot at running 2.3 to 2.6 giigs per processor

Thanks for the reply. Any links to buy a couple of pair of these? I might try the mod even though it scares the hell out of me.

Thanks. Only reason i asked is i checked pricewatch and they only showed one vendor, seemed a little strange. Going to order two of AMD Mobile Athlon XP 2600+, 266 MHz FSB, 512K L2 Cache right now, $99 each.

Just a quick question as i've never cut the bridges before, do you cut enough to just break through the substrate, i magine cutting deeper, into the cpu itself would destroy it. Sorry, im such a newb at this sort of thing.

On the pin modding, any suggestions on what multiplier to set. I don't want this rig running overly hot. Thanks.

As for multiplier setting, assuming you will use decent heat sinks (Thermalrights) I would start at 17x, which at 133 would give you 2260MHz - that is what I am running my T-breds and my system is rock stable :)

With the mobiles, you should be able to run 18x or 19x or you might simply run a lower multiplier with a lower voltage, which would alow for quieter fan/system.

Thanks for that. I'm using slk 800's. I'd probably be happy running them at 2260 and have a quieter system though 19X's is tempting.

Anyhow, one last question on vcore. If pin mod for 17X's will this machine boot or will i need to pin mod the vcore. I'm not to sure on the procedure you guys use. Should i start with a 17 x multiplier and from what i understand these processors will defualt to a vcore of 1.45? If it doesnt boot then i need to look at doing the pinmod for the vcore? Anyone know if there's any chance this will work at the defualt vcore and if not what's a good starting point? Then probably just work one cpu at a time. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back