• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats a good ftp server for free?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you have XP, you have a built in FTP server. Not as whizbang as the other stuff out there but its free.

And before anyone gets all riled up on it not being secure, it only uses the same ports as any other FTP server (21 default)

Of course if it was me, I would this with SP2RC2

If you are running linux, this is even easier, as I can not recall a dist with a FTP server.

darthdana said:
If you have XP, you have a built in FTP server. Not as whizbang as the other stuff out there but its free.

And before anyone gets all riled up on it not being secure, it only uses the same ports as any other FTP server (21 default)

Of course if it was me, I would this with SP2RC2

If you are running linux, this is even easier, as I can not recall a dist with a FTP server.

uh i wouldn't even think about running IIS ftp server, you have to setup a windows account for every user and if an exploit comes out before you can patch someone can get full acess to your box.

its worth shelling out the 12.95 or so for raideinftpd, ill even sell you a license that i don't use if you want it...

I use bftp on my proliant, i use iis for http bc its easy, i tried using iis for ftp but it was over complex and i couldnt monitor it all that great, so bump for bftp!

i know someone who set one up, time warner cable (road runner) blocked his port! he has gotten a new router since then and they have not blocked him yet...just something you may want to consider. (and i'm almost ceartain he does it with linux)

Como said:
i know someone who set one up, time warner cable (road runner) blocked his port! he has gotten a new router since then and they have not blocked him yet...just something you may want to consider. (and i'm almost ceartain he does it with linux)

uh new router doesn't help the blocked port...if he keeps the port the same they will still block it. he didn't need a new router, just needed to change the port to like 2121 or something random

Hey thanks guys for the reponses. Am gonna try Filezilla for now. I use comcast cable. u think they will mind if i do this? I mean its only when one exceeds thier upload limit that they say something right?

my isp is blocking ports 21 (ftp), 80 (http), and 8080 (http) from reaching me. All I did was change the port though, and its good as new.

I host like 8 websites on my comcast connection using KFWS, and a ftp server using TYPSoft FTP Server, its simple, has a lot of options, and is fast/free. Comcast has yet to say anything, I average about 3.5-4 gigs a month of outbound bandwidth usage...have been for over 1.5 years...I guess they don't care.

They diddnt block that port alltogether, they woudl lose allot of customers if tehy couldnt download from FTP's...they jsut blocked it on his old IP. he could get it up a day or two every week before, but tehy just took it down again.

its been up for 2 weeks now with his new router, though.

Como said:
They diddnt block that port alltogether, they woudl lose allot of customers if tehy couldnt download from FTP's...they jsut blocked it on his old IP. he could get it up a day or two every week before, but tehy just took it down again.

its been up for 2 weeks now with his new router, though.

He means to host a server on port 21, not to download files on port 21. They're two different concepts, and it's very easy to block inbound access to a port and allow outbound access on the same port. This is exactly what a firewall does, and WAN devices work on the same theory.

Back