• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Gaming Setup from newegg.com around $500-600 with shipping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bboy_Jon

ok well i moslty want a new pc for gaming, my dad wants to get a pre built pc but building is cheaper and better, so what is a good gaming setup for around $500-$600 (with shipping already included)

i would like to buy from newegg.com

As i said before its for gaming, also i would like to oc it also

i already have a cd burner, dvd burner, 80 gb hard drive, monitor

(i want an P4 setup because my dad doesnt like AMD and a pretty cool case too haha and an integrated ethernet adapter (for the cable modems) so i dont have to buy one)

so ya what are some good setups for around $500 (with shipping included)

no, amd is all the way for cheap gaming, and good gaming...tell ur dad ull save money, and have more performance...
Get the 2400 mobile barton, its quite cool, and oc's up to 2.7, which is well beyond any p4 system out there ...maybe a 3.6 intel equivelent.....get the abit nf7-s which is only 90 bucks... (but no hyperthreading)

Nf7-s---$90
mobile 2400---les than 80 i would immagine
heatsink-slk900A---$43
Vantec stealth fan for it.....$8
For a flashy look, go with the x-dreamer from aspire---$50
The psu it comes with sucks, get a Sparklepower 300w-oem---$20
9800 pro---$200
50- 150 bucks left.....
windows xp--$88 newegg?
Artic silver5 ----$7.49
Shipping extra---Dunno....20 bucks maybe???
Total cost (hopefully) $600 even.....u do have speakers already, built in sound is ok, i use it still, no problems what so ever.....

HTH

I wouldnt call any gaurentees on a 2400mobile hittins 2700mhz, its happened, but probably needed water to get there, or atleast some very good ram, which you missed buying.

motherboard will be 90$, itll have a ethernet card, they all do.

chip, Id get a 2500mobile for 90$. its good for alot of overclocking, not 2700 without great ram, but 2400 should be a very realistic mark, which is about 3200 in intel numbers.

thats 180$.

cool cases are pricey, I spent 160 on my case with PSU. but I guess alot 100$ for a cool case... though I have to say, on a 500$ budget, thats really not feasible.

now 280.

ram. atleast 512k, so Id say some pc3200 maybe ocz el? thatd be good I think. 134$ there.

your up to 424$. and you need a video card still.

now Id normally say 9800pro, but thats gonna be 200$, which puts you WAY over 500, and over 600 as well. I suppose a 9600pro would keep prices under 600 then(its about 130$).

you still need a cpu fan, and it better be pretty good for overclocking. so 30$ or so in that area is realistic I think.

500$ is not doable with 100$ on a case, 600 is, but Id personally opt for 600 with a cheaper case and a 9800pro.(or spend more than 600).

intel, eh, add 200$ to the price. Im being serious. a 2.53ghz p4 is 60$ more than the amd. but a 3200 is p4(roughly equal to the overclocked 2500amd) is 270$, 180$ more.

ya i believe you about the intel, the proccesors are so much more expensive

i already have win xp pro (hehe)

ditto on that, the amd mobile chips are unrivaled when it comes to price/performance not to mention the wealth of knowledge about the mobiles and nf7s on this forum, though i strongly disagree with the recomendation of a 300w power supply. Go for 400w or higher so it will not hurt your oc.

Last edited:
the setup Sun_tzu617 gave is about 597 with shipping (no win xp and some 512 pc3200 ram)

the stick of 512 is the cheapest there is, and a 400watt psu would bring my total around 600 but i dunno

hows this setup?

ROUND, 18-Inch, Floppy drive cable, Booted, 2-Connector ( BLUE )

Linkworld Black/Silver ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side Window and Neon Fan, Model "F3131-C2628-P4" -RETAIL

NEC 1.44MB Black Internal Floppy Drive, OEM

Apacer 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM

Shuttle "AN35N-Ultra" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton", 333 FSB, 512K Cache Processor - Retail

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9800 PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP -BULK

the total is $ 489.83 with shipping (i could use the extra $100 for like a 2800 proccesor or something)

ok hows this setup

ASPIRE X-Alien Steel Blue Server Case with Side Window with 420W Power Supply, Model "ATXA1AW/420"

Arctic Silver Premium Silver Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound, Model "Arctic Silver 5", 3.5-gram( 1 cc. ) tube

Thermaltake SILENT BOOST Highest Performance Cooler for AMD AthlonXP up to 3400+ -RETAIL

NEC 1.44MB Black Internal Floppy Drive, OEM

ABIT "NF7-S" nForce2 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL

AMD Mobile Athlon XP 2400+, 266FSB, 512K Cache - OEM

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9800 PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP -BULK

Mushkin 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail ram

total is $ 586.46 (shipping was only 4 dollars? wtf)

that looks good. need cpu cooling but thats ok, will be 30-40, but hopefully that wont break the deal.

and yeah,newegg does tons of free fedex super saver shipping. its great.

your second setup looks fine. might also want to splurge for a 2500 instead of 2400 but still mobile. history shows better OCs. but you wont be disappointed either way.

is there anyway that i can like make the price a little bit lower? like a good cool looking case with a good psu?

o and does the hsf i specified (im going for the 2nd setup) come witht he paste? or should i still get the as5?

ugh, i did mess up my stem, it woulda been almost the same as bboy jon's final, forgot the ram thouhg(hate that).... The silent boost is perty good if i say so myself...i got my 2500 barton coed to 200X11 on crap *** ram, and i dont go past 43 no matter how hard i game....

does my hsf come with the thermal paste? should i use that or should i still get the arctic silver 5?

hey im getting kind of scared that i wont get this pc for a while because i was suppose to get one similar to this setup for xmas but my dad never got it, so ya im scared that he will again forget about it until 5 months from now

i have a dell dimension 2400 coming in a few days

it has 2.66ghz, 256 pc2700 ddr ram and a 64mb integrated vid card, if i were to order a radeon 9200 128mbit pci vid card from newegg (no agp slot) and get a stick of 256 pc2700 ram would it be a decent enough pc??

because im kinda scared of risking myself not having a new pc over the summer

so should i not get the dell and risk maybe not having a new computer for several months or just get a almost ok pc, and upgrade a few things in a couple weeks?

the dell is like 549 after all the rebates and coupons and stuff (and it comes with a 15 inch flat panel) and the new vid card and ram would make it like $700 dollars

simply put, not really.

for 1, your ram is no doubt 2x128. meaning first you have to hope you even have a free memory slot for a 3rd stick. even if you do, you cant run dual channel with it, not that it matters, cause its unlikely the dell is using an nforce chipset.

next, the 64mb integrated graphics will blow, and even worse that "64mb" is coming straight out of an already outdated amount of ram(256mb, windows will use half of that lol)

a 9200 isnt such a great card to start with, and adding PCI into the deal. well I donno how much better itll be than the integrated honestly. your biggest gain will be the fact that it wont steal your system memory.

now, to answer other questions, the heatsink SHOULD come with thermal paste(the decription on newegg should say). it will work, but it will also suck. on a budget, or IMO off a budget, Id get ceramique by artic silver. its 3$ a tube, way cheaper than the artic silver 5. and IMO just as good. doesnt conduct electricity either, always a nice thing.

now the next problem is that power supply isnt the best. but on a budget, it will just have to suffice.

your really riding the bubble on price. but that system as its specced with some overclocking will slaughter the dell system thats coming, and still kill it after its been upgraded to 700$ system(if you spent that same price on your computer, youd be looking at a nicer power supply, or maybe even a gig of ram)

my roomate has an AMD system comparable to that with the integrated graphix crap. he scored a 900 on 3dmark 01. bought the PC 2 months ago, and got a 900... above system should be good for about 15000.

omg it comes with 2 sticks of 128 lol ok heck no screw that ill just wait

i want to get a cheaper yet still cool case with a window, is there anything i can do that wont hurt my system too much but will lower the price? (that will make my dad want to buy it more)

likei nstead of a 9800 pro i could get like a 9600xt or something? maybe

yeah you could, it will hurt your systems performance...

theres the big 4 things, cpu, memory, mobo, and graphics. the first 3 works together very tightly and if you skimp on 1, the group wont overclock at all. so cheaper memory would be the normal solution, but then your shooting yourself in the foot for overclocking the CPU, same for the mobo.

cheaper graphics wont affect how the other 3 things cooperate, but it is expensive, and very important to gaming, if 40$ is gonna make or break the deal though, drop it to a 9600. itd be the best 40$ upgrade youve ever made though.

cant really reduce the price much, your pretty well at the bottom of what can be done while maintaining the ideal system. could go used for some parts, but Im betting your dad wont like that idea much; I know mine wouldnt.

look at the pricing,

80$ for CPU
90$ for mobo
145$ for memory
200$ for graphics
40$ for cooling
75$ for case
20$ for incidentals

thats 650$...

Im guessing you were looking at the single 512k stick of ram for 90$. thats doable, but again it will hurt you in that you cant run 1 stick dual channel.

perhaps its a plan that really cant be done for <600$.

you do 1stick of memory, you drop 55$. go to 9600xt another 50 off. you get under 600$ to 550$.

if thats what needs to be done, I guess thats what needs to be done.

well i heard dual channel doesnt really make all that big of a difference

how much is a 9600xt?? (like ati or asus ones not power color, dunno about saphire)

saphire is alright I hear. about 160. again, its the best 40$ upgrade youll find, but maybe thats unfair, though you can find a 9800pro for 200$, you wont find it on newegg for 200$. so you have to find a different place. and flip that and you can probably find the 9600xt for cheaper too. so its more like a 60$ difference.

ya pricewatch.com will have it cheaper by maybe 30 dollars the most but you dont really know if the site is reliable or not, newegg i know is good and reliable

i guess thats fine, if my dad says its too much ill just get the 9600xt

also if its still too much whats a cheaper (yet good and cool looking, preferably with a window and in blue) with a good psu, in case i need the price to go lower

and how long do you think it will take for dell to get my computer back and refund me my money?? it should come around sunday and the faster i get the money back the faster i can get this pc and the lower the chance my dad will forget

Back