• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which processor fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Confuzor

Hello all.

I'm in search of a new PC. It'll be something like this:

Processor - AMD® K7 Thunderbird™ 1.4G w/266Mhz FSB OEM (Socket A) w/Vocano II
Socket-A Fan For AMD (UP To 1.5G)
Mainboard - MSI K7T266 Pro-R (MS-6380) VIA KT266 Chipset 266Mhz FSB, 1AGP4x, 5PCI, 3x184pin DDR, Onboard Sound, ATA-100 Raid
Memory - 256MB PC2100 266Mhz 184pin DDR
CDROM - HP 9510i CD Writer 32x12x8 4MB int Box
Hard Drive - Maxtor 40.9 GB IDE ATA-100 9MS 7200rpm 2MB
Video Card - Leadtek WinFast GeForce2 Pro 32MB 5.5ns RAMDAC AGP4x Retail w/TV
Sound Card - Creative SoundBlaster Live! DE 5.1 PCI (OEM)
Casing - 18" 320K Tower 4 - 5 1/4 & 2 - 3 1/2 Bay, 300W ATX
Others: - Pioneer DVD-116 16x40x DVD Tray
- 3C16790 OfficeConnect 5Port 10/100 Switch
- 15' RJ45 Stranded cables
- Ball Bearing Case Fan x2 (in addition to the case fan with the power supply)

Most of the specs have been finished, but I'm thinking of doing some subtle overclocking (around 1.5ghz - 1.6ghz). I was originally going to leave it with Volcano II processor fan, with two case fans in addition to the power supply fan. After reading Overclockers review for the Volcano II, I'm thinking it might not be a good choice for my AMD. I would like to know whether any of these fans would be a better alternative:

-Cooler Master DP5-6131A Processor Fan
-Volcano 5 Processor Fan
-Super ORB (Socket A, Socket 370) processor Dual Fan

I'd also like to know whether 2 case fans are sufficent for some subtle overclocking.

Thank you.

Last edited:
-Cooler Master DP5-6131A Processor Fan
-Volcano 5 Processor Fan
-Super ORB (Socket A, Socket 370) processor Dual Fan
none of those fans would help you with a overclock that high i would say you should get a Millenium Glaciator or a ThermalRight sk6
or a swiftech 462A
they all are about the same but the Swiftech has the most foolproof mounting system wich i recommend

Hmmm... I'll reconsider whether I'll bother with overclocking.

Just one more thing. Are the fans I listed okay for non-overclocking use? Or should I get something better? Like maybe a Dragon ORB 3 (7000 rpm Fan) Processor Fan? And how is the the Dragon ORB 3 for overclocking anyways?

(I apologize for my rapid inquiries. But once I obtain my new computer, I will hopefully vanish from these forums, never to ask such n00bish questions again :D )

Back