Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Username, Avatar.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 05-18-04, 08:52 PM Thread Starter   #1
qualhiveldorf

Username, Avatar.

With many user's I have wondered "what the heck does your username mean?" or "What in the world is that in your avatar?"

So people post:
-What your username means.
-What is shown in your avatar. (if you have one)

My username was created as the name for a flying serpent I drew in 5th grade (I'm now in 9th) , I just put together a whole bunch of letters together. If you want just call me qual for short.

Avatar is pretty self explanitory. FOLD FOR TEAM 32 !!!!
qualhiveldorf is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-18-04, 09:11 PM   #2
tom10167

10 Year Badge

I got Bestweb a very long time ago and got so sick of trying to come up with a screenname I just randomly typed numbers, and it's stuck for the last 8 years. The avatar is a funny one, half my hair is down, half is up and I'm wearing funny clothes, generally my hair is 100% braided.
tom10167 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-18-04, 09:18 PM   #3
Xenocide

Xenocide is acually from the book, but i usually go by Xeno because its shorter

i have no clue what the avatar is...i just found it and couldn't stop laughing...

BTW: amen on the folding for team 32

Old 05-18-04, 09:25 PM   #4
rUfUnKy

-What your username means

Well, I've been using rUfUnKy (=Are you funky ) since when I had webTV like 8 years ago..lol and now I use it on every forum and all my screen names. Guess it just stuck. I like to spell it like this ŽUfUnKy but some forums don't allow it .

-What is shown in your avatar

Um ...fUnKy MODs ...what else
rUfUnKy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-18-04, 09:26 PM   #5
Oni
Oni-ni-Kanabō
Ninja Hippo eater Moderator

10 Year Badge

Oni is a Japanese word. It means Demon. The Oni are the guardians to the gates of Hell (I think).

The avatar was a gift from Captain Slug. He even made a background to go w/ it

On Indefinite Hiatus

Asus P6T SE
Intel i7 930 @ Stock
12GB Corsair DDR3 9-9-9-24
XFX Radeon 5830 @ Stock
Corsair 750 Watt PSU

Oni is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-18-04, 09:26 PM   #6
Malpine Walis
Disabled

Well, this probably belongs in O/Community so that everyone can take a crack at it. For my part, my name is one that I created originally for an on-line RPG. Being of Scottish ancestry, I contracted my clan name from MacAlpine to Malpine and Walis is a tribute to William Wallis. Today, I use it all over the internet as it has proven to be unique. If you see Malpine Walis anywhere else that will be me.

My current avatar (remember these things change) is a statue of Cuthulu. For those who do not know, he is the really old God that nobody worships in the H.P. Lovecraft novels. If you find this thread when it gets old here it is:

Malpine Walis is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-18-04, 09:34 PM   #7
Agent_Mull

My last name is Mullett, and my dads nickname is Mull. I used Mull or Mull280 for a while, but then i tacked the Agent_ to the begining. And obviously my avatar is Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Agent_Mull is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-18-04, 09:37 PM   #8
Voodoo Rufus
Powder Junkie Moderator

10 Year Badge

Well in high school my Economics AP teacher had all sorts of Rufuses (various ad clippings from magazines) of people the non-AP folks would meet if they failed school and went to jail. He had Voodoo Rufus (Aborigine in a top hat), Harley Rufus, Bill Gates Rufus, Sushi Rufus (sumo wrestler), and San Francisco Sushi Rufus (sumo wrestler doing ballet).

I hijacked Voodoo Rufus just because it was unique and sounded cool.

My avatars have evolved as the av size limits have changed. Various past avatars have included the Whitestar starship from Babylon 5, to Boondock Saints (my favorites), to the Firefox aircraft (had that one for a good year now), and now my most recent is Beatrix Kiddo from Kill Bill.

Serious Gamers Halo Custom Edition
Green Leaves!
Voodoo Rufus is offline SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-18-04, 09:38 PM   #9
sandman001
Just Freeze It

10 Year Badge

Don't know where I got my name, but it's nothing complicated.

My avater looked cool, so I used it. Not sure where or why I got it.
sandman001 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-18-04, 09:39 PM   #10
CamH

My username is short for my actual name, and my avatar is me, looking like Che.

Old 05-18-04, 10:13 PM   #11
9mmCensor
Disabled

9mmCensor is sort of like the death, which can be the ultimate form of censorship, death being the 9mm and censor being the censorship part.

The avatar is an MS Paint job of a crime scene chalking, with blood, and the body is the personification of the "fan boy" metality, which should die.
9mmCensor is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-18-04, 10:24 PM   #12
stockhatch

I use this name on all the forums I frequent, but it originated on stangnet.com years ago. My Mustang was bone stock when I joined stangnet and as it was a hatchback model, stockhatch was the incredibly original username that I birthed

The avatar is an extremely high quality pic of Gogo from Kill Bill Vol 1.

AC

E6600(8x400) - Infinity
2x250 Perps RAID 0
P5W DH Deluxe
2GB GSkill HK
8800GTX
620HX

HEAT
stockhatch is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-18-04, 10:39 PM   #13
Puer Aeternus

10 Year Badge

My name is a Jungian/Latin Term for "Boy Eternal". I dont want to go into Jungian Psychology, but the name has personal Symbolism for me.

The Avatar(at present) is of the:
Great Mother Goddes KALI
Again it is a personal symbol for me.

I do take the Martial art "Kali" but it is no way related to those who worship the Goddess. 2 seperate things I love w/ the same name...go figure?

i5 4670K @ 4.4GHZ
Water Cooling- Seidon 120m,
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC,
8 g's Mushkin Blackline 1600 dd3,
Radeon 7970 Diamond
Win 7 64bit, Antec Earth Watts 650w
InWin Dragon Rider (case)
Logitech G15
Puer Aeternus is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-18-04, 11:23 PM   #14
illwillchill

Quote:
Originally posted by 9mmCensor
The avatar is an MS Paint job of a crime scene chalking, with blood, and the body is the personification of the "fan boy" metality, which should die.
LOL I always thought it was a superhero character and the red stuff was a cape.

My avatar is Natalie Portman

larger image

my username is inspired from the song "Hold it now, Hit it" by the beastie boys

Quote:
Now I chill real ill when I start to chill
When I fill my pockets with a knot of dollar bills
Sipping pints of ale out the window sill
When I get my fill I'm chilly chill
Now I just got home because I'm out on bail
Yeah there's no mention of term 'ill will' in the song
illwillchill is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-18-04, 11:30 PM   #15
nerdlogic

Quote:
Originally posted by sandman001
Don't know where I got my name, but it's nothing complicated.

My avater looked cool, so I used it. Not sure where or why I got it.
You got it during our Harold the Haunted Doll phase and it scared me, made you laugh, so you kept it.

As for my screen name, I was always labelled a nerd. First word I saw in a magazine was 'logic' so I tacked it on. It's been mine since I was 15.

As for the avatar... *shudders* it's me. I worked with kindergarden children and I made that hat with them. They made me wear it. I swear!
  QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-18-04, 11:54 PM   #16
shard

yo
my name was from a book that i read and the name of the character was shardenian, and he went by shard. i just liked the name. i have used it all over the net, so if yu see it is probably me.

my avatar is of a cavalier that is very similer to my first car. but it was dark blue. this one is one that has been laying around my computer for years. but i am thinkin of changin it soon to a cooler one

Gigabyte Z77-D3H
G. Skill DD3 1600 8gb
EVGA 670 GTX | Asus VE248H 24" Widescreen LCD
Corsair 750TX 750w PSU
shard is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-19-04, 12:00 AM   #17
JigPu
Inactive Pokémon Moderator

10 Year Badge

My username is a shortening of the BEST Pokémon in the world. . . Jigglypuff! My avatar contains one of the best pictures of the pink lintball I've found, and has been with me nearly constantly for my entire forum presence.

JigPu isn't my normal username though (not for non-forum stuff anyway). If I sign up for e-mail or some other random thing, I normally go by Comp_Nerd. Comp_Nerd has been with me FAR longer than JigPu, and has seen many uses. In fact, I would have joined here with Comp_Nerd (and possibly never have thought of JigPu) if I didn't feel so bad about being an utter n00b with a bragging username when I first joined ^_^;;;;;

JigPu

.... G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage ............. 8 GiB ..... 1600 MHz ............ 1.25 V
.... OCZ Vertex 3 ................................. 120 GB ............. nilfs2 ..... Arch Linux
.... Kingwin LZP-550 .............................. 550 W ........ 94% Eff. ....... 80+ Plat
.... Nocuta NH-D14 ................................ 20 dB ..... 0.35 C°/W ................ 7 V

"In order to combat power supply concerns, Nvidia has declared that G80 will be the first graphics card in the world to run entirely off of the souls of dead babies. This will make running the G80 much cheaper for the average end user."
"GeForce 8 Series." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 7 Aug 2006, 20:59 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 8 Aug 2006.
JigPu is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-19-04, 12:15 AM   #18
macklin01
Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Moderator on Vacation, Ph.D.

10 Year Badge

Well, I used macklin01 because macklin was already in use all over the net, as was macklin1, but I figured macklin01 would only be used rarely if at all. For the most part, it has worked out well.

Sometimes, I wish I had chosen a clever username, but by now, everybody knows me by this, and I couldn't possibly change it (even if I wanted to, which I don't. )

As for avatar, I originally chose Link / Zelda because I liked the game, and I was reliving / replaying it at that time.

Recently, I tried to change the avatar to something that was actually related to me and what I do (tumor growth simulations in 2D and 3D for graduate school), but so many people missed the original Zelda avatar that I switched it back. -- Paul

Need image I/O for your science apps? Try EasyBMP

My biomedical research: Mathematical Cancer Modeling & Simulation

I'm on vacation as a moderator as I devote more time to my faculty position.
Thank you for your understanding if I don't respond to your PM. -- Paul
macklin01 is offline Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-19-04, 12:42 AM   #19
Sophisticated

Well it all started out when......................ok lemme get str8 to the point....i used to be in a little RAP group with my homeboyz but now were apart and i had different names to choose from and i thought Sophisticated Fit me so i stuck with that...so thats how i came about this way with this name

as for my avatar its simple and str8 to the point

P4 all day everyday...representin true power

48X DL Lightscribe
A7V8X-LA (Kelut)
Sophisticated is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-19-04, 01:21 AM   #20
Evnas

Evnas is simply a mistyping of my last name (Evans) that happened a few years ago when I was filling out an online form.

My avatar is me (the guy) and my friend Melissa
Evnas is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.