• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7V mod to a 3 pin AOC fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devilscow22

can you do the 7v mod to a fan with the 3 pin connector? also what is the blue wire for? and i took the sleaving off of the fan wire because it came out no the heatshrink and i forgot to remember what wires when in what hold.... if some1 you please tell me it would be a great help!

blue wire is the rpm sening wire.

to 7V it, you'd need to splice it...and not use teh 3 pin header anymore.

7 volt mod is so east... you can keep the rpm sensor if you like. in fact, i do this with a lot of my cpu fans when rigging them for use with a fan controller. just cut the red and black wire, leaving the blue/yellow/white one in the 3 pin connector. that goes to your board. the red ones goes to yellow and black goes to red on your molex connector. real easy, and you still get rpm sening.

Valk said:
7 volt mod is so east... you can keep the rpm sensor if you like. in fact, i do this with a lot of my cpu fans when rigging them for use with a fan controller. just cut the red and black wire, leaving the blue/yellow/white one in the 3 pin connector. that goes to your board. the red ones goes to yellow and black goes to red on your molex connector. real easy, and you still get rpm sening.
The RPM sensoring of most mobo's doesn't work anymore if you use the 7V-trick on a 3-wire fan...
This is because the ground level on a 7-volted fan is not anymore 0V but 5V, and the sensoring circuitry on the mobo expects RPM pulses in regard to ground (0V).

It works with a fan controller as the fan ground still stays at 0V, only voltage to the positive fan wire is varied.

CD :)

Back