• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Large difference between idle-load?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandman001

Just Freeze It
Ok, so idle I'm at like 39C, which I know isn't great, that isn't the point.

At load My temps go up to like 47C. With teh same ambient temps and everything.

My setup is: Maze3->danner mag2->Jr-120.

The reason my temps are high is because my current tubing collapses with the suction of my pump, so it's like a big kink. I need some new 1/8" walled tubing, I know.

Like, as soon as I start F@H it jumps up. Like within 15 seconds.

The rad can handle th heat no problem, over the course of an entire day the cpu temps go up 1C after about an hour then level off there.

My opinion only, but I think it's a good test of how capable a cooling system is (the difference between load and idle temps).
If you're sitting at the edge of it's capacity, then the temps should go up more with a given ammount of load.
If you were to be looking at adding another block, like a gpu for example, I'd try it only if the gap were smaller, indicating that the cooling power is available (not your system persay, just as an example).

When my basement heatercore setup is running, I get only 2C or so difference because the rad is being cooled in below room temp air, so it's capacity to remove heat is much higher, thus a load isn't much change (even the difference between my OC and not OC'd was only 1-2C difference).

Also, don't forget the "acurate as lawn darts" temp monitoring probably has it's hand in that a bit too.

Getting rid of that kink should close that gap a bit, IMHO.

if it makes you feel any better, my setup idles @ 41C and 47C load. (72.9F / 22.7C room temp) now since we dont have ANY parts in common (comp OR cooling) its REALLY hard to compare but i dont see anything wrong ;)

EDIT: settings not in sig...yet... 2835 MHz (13.5 x 210) @ 2.2V

Last edited:
Yes I have, like probably mounted it 5 times now, alwways get relatively the same temps.

I get 39 idle 45-47load (depends on room temp). I blame a couple things. First my room is never below 80f which is about 27c I believe. Also my temp sensor is off by a couple degrees. If i get into bios and check the temp ASAP I never see less than 33c so i figure its off by about 4-5c.

Dont look at the temps, look at the OC. Too many air coolers shun my temps but im beating most with my 2700 :)

My temps are 40C idle and 52C load with a Maze3->ChevetteHC->Via1300 loop. This is with my XP1700 running 2505mhz @ 1.85vcore.

These temps seem bad compared to other folks here, but I am just going by the BIOS readings on my Shuttle AN35N. I trust these temp readings so much that I am saving my nickles and dimes to get a real temp monitoring device. :)

I can keep my load temp around 45C just by dropping back to 2405mhz at 1.775vcore, so I will most likely run at that speed since 100mhz isn't a big deal. First I need to see how far I can take this XP1700.

Back