• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you run your oc-ed machine 24x7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cho

I'm going to build a new rig soon and my pc will run 24x7 non-stop. Should I run a oc-ed pc 24x7?
How many of you are doing so?

I run this system at the siggy specs 24/7 and have been for almost a year. NO problems. I Fold with this machine as well. If your overclock is good and clean. . as in you keep the heat down you have no worries. AMD chips are MUCH better clock for clock and are the best gamer chips out there as far as most will tell you. P4 will overclock to a higher clock speed but the AMD's do more work per clock tick. But any decent chip will kick butt. (Save some bucks and avoid the Prescotts unless you have some serious cooling)

Z

PS: I understand the Mobile Barton is the lastest craze. AWESOME chip. . . and its about 100 us dollars. GREAT bang for the buck and they overclock like mad. And yes they do it 24/7. (CPU's are designed for a 24/7 operating cycle so as long as your over clock is stable you are fine. (yeppers. . keep the heat down)

Last edited:
Ya, what is the point in only overclocking it for a little bit? Throwing out a good benchmark or 2 at an unstable speed is kinda retarded.

I've run all my overclocked systems 24/7...

-Chris

I run my 24/7...just restarts when its needed....like you can tell its really slow or after you install or uninstall something. And remember to keep the temp cool.

i do too

i think you'll find just about everyone on the boards runs their overclocked pc 24/7...

Cho said:
I'm going to build a new rig soon and my pc will run 24x7 non-stop. Should I run a oc-ed pc 24x7?
How many of you are doing so?

I personally don't run my machine 24x7. It only wears out HDD's, fans, and clogs up the heat sinks with dust bunnies.

I think that all started from businesses needing to be networked at 24x7. It has no use at home except for downloading DVD's and stuff. :)

Someone said a boot takes 4 hours off the life of many components. Being shut down all night adds 8-10 hours to the life, so there you go. :D

As LtBlue14 said, pretty much everybody runs oc'd 24/7. That's kinda the point - achieving the highest *stable* overclock you can.

I would run mine 24/7 except for the fact i'm on a budget. I can't afford to have the added 15-20 bucks a month in electric bills. I run my home server 24/7, and my gaming/benching rigs as needed. With 1 minute boot times, i can't find a reason to run it 24/7, to idle in IRC/AIM? But i do trust my rigs to run 24/7 if i needed them to.

ive run mine for 5 months now almost none stop....ive taken it apart a few times to clean it out, and once for a school project...and then when i reseat the heatsink i turn it off after a few days of running folding to help settle the AS5...other than that, its always on...i restart it every 3-5 days as programs and windows start to lock up....macs can go for weeks, even months without a restart (servers too) but i use mine so much and i often install/uninstall programs that require reboots. *sigh*

i am, an athlon 2500 at 2.13ghz, its fine to oc ur comp and let it run 24/7 as long as its stable and u have fine cooling

The way I look at it, if you can't run the machine overclocked all the time you aren't really accomplishing anything other than glimpsing the scaling attributes of the architecture.

run 24/7 and only stopped for modding or switch parts for testing.at exact specs in my sig also.

i could be ocing 3.7ghz outa my 2.8E if i didnt fold and didnt have heat building up from it.
but what good is an oc if you cant use it?

in 2 weeks i switch to phase change cooling and plan on useing it 24/7
i dont turn my refridgerator off at night so why the pc! lol

here is my temps and speeds and such while im doing some memory burnin.

the error is due to the program useing alota ram and i have my page file off.

also guys notice my board temp and auxilery temps.i think i have my prescott hooked up for power and cooling.
gotta be ready for the prommy :D

btw also my sandra is reading vcore as my vagp. its actually 1.39vcore as stated by mbm5

Attachments

• 3504 screeny.jpg
    3504 screeny.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 172
i've been running my 2.4C overclocked crunching SETI@Home or Gaming
24/7 for about 10 months now.

ran it at 3.2Ghz (266FSB 5:4 (CPU:RAM) 1.5v Vcore.

some better cooling, PSU, and a Vdim volt mod later (thanks to the members
of these forums) i'm at 3.5Ghz 1.5v (292x12 5:4 ratio 2-3-2-5 3.1v on
the Ram.

a open case with a house fan is needed to keep things from heating up.
i have water cooling parts, but have had no time to put it in :-/.

i vote that your OC should allow you to run 24/7 if needed.

rich

Back