• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something Simple

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nocturnx

Registered
I am a big newb to watercooling and to this forum. I am looking for a simple watercooling setup that would require very little modding. Also I am using a P4 setup. I just finished reading several of the guides on this site so I know a little. I was thinking about going with the swiftech H20-8600 kit thats here:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swh2.html

I see that this kit doesnt come with the water block but maybe it would be better to get a different one besides the one that does comes with the complete kit?

I would consider peicing together a watercooling setup as long as it was simple and not overly pricey, in fact I think I would rather peice together a kit if it was cheaper and I new what quality parts to get. Im looking to spend under $200. Also I would rather not do any unecessary case modding but my case is kinda small. I might have to cut out the hdd cage some how. Here are pics of my current setup so you can see how cramped looking my case is. I have done some basic simple mods tho.

http://community.webshots.com/album/92764286pXXnCb

So basically im looking for a small, simple, easy, relativley cheap setup for a newb. Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

It will be difficult to get a high quality setup in a computer without modding of some kind.

I too have a cramped case, I believe it is smaller than yours... but I managed to fit a very large radiator in it ( larger than 2x120mm fans) rather easily and a mag 3 pump (which is also fairly bulky) and all the various tubes.

If you want a simple kit, go with the swiftech, but that radiator is crap on a stick. Too small to do any decent cooling. Plus, it will be difficult to upgrade. Generally, you need to get the big rad first and mod it to fit the case. Other comonents need to be upgradeable from that. I recommend a 1/2" system, but a 3/8" system wouldnt hurt.

This would be a good beginners waterblock for you.
This rad would be good if you could find room for 2x120mm fans.
This would be good if you only have room for 2x80mm fans
These are kinda pricey, but will do well if you have room for 1x120mm fan.

Generally, I would recommend a heatercore, but because you are a beginner I'll hold that back.
If you can afford this pump, get it. It is easy to install and powerful.
Otherwise, get this and the criticool powerplant relay card.
It will do fine in your system.
Get this tubing.

The 2x80mm Black Ice radiator should fit if I mount it to the top of my case and cut a whole for airflow. What would I use to cut the metal case with, a dremmel? Also any recommendation on where to get one fairly cheap?

I will go with the waterblock and pump you recommended, thanks for the links.

Thanks for your help
Noc

Alright I got my hands on a dremmel.

One other thing, am I gonna need clamps to hold the tubes on to the barbs?

Also do I need a reservoir?

Thanx
Noc

One thing I noticed.

The Black Ice Micro II radiator I want to use has barbs that are 3/8" OD. The Swiftech MCW6000 has barbs that are 1/2" OD. And the MCP600 pump has 1/2" barbs. Will these fit together even tho the rad has different size barbs?

Sorry for the dumb newb questions, couldnt find anything about this in the guides.

Noc

Back