• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI Stops Supporting Users In Official Forum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The DFI representative, hired from our forums, began to get frustrated and asked for moderator abilities in order to control the posts of our users. I think the exact phrase used was “complete control over the content.”
No company and no one employed by any company that we have an editorial obligation to report on, has or ever will have moderating or censorship abilities on PC Perspective or our forums. It lends itself too easily to biased views and reviews of products.
Though we started the represented forums trend, I can assure you that we will never give into any manufacturer or employee’s requests to make this a non-public, censored forum.
Looks more like the DFI rep got sick of people ranting and complaining in the forum, and requested full status as a moderator to control negative posts about DFI's products. DFI hasn't withdrawn support - they requested priviledges that AMDMB thought it best to not give them. I think AMDMB made a wise decision in doing ths.

I think that it is pretty clear that this was an or else ultimatum.
Neither rep has posted in the forum since they learned that their demands would not be met.

The whole issue is total bull*****, It's unbelievable how newbies where treating those guys.First of all people need to read be4 they begin to overclock, if you don't like reading, then don't overclock.The bios flashing was is where all the problems began.They would post a BETA bios and even tell folks not to flash without a savior, and what the hell did the newbies without bios savior's do? They flashed right away.doh!!!

I corrupted a bios chip on my first lanparty board, yea it ****ed me off, but I got over it.And you know what I done?I ordered a bios savior.
:)

I'm sorry that I apparently missed the personal attacks, I really don't recall seeing many or any. In fact, the more common expression was that Angry_Games and RGone were doing their best to be helpful but that DFI Corporate just doesn't give a damn. To tell you the truth, that is my impression as well. They both elected to be employed as the public face of DFI knowing that there are many unresolved issues with the products they are supporting and that many of the customers are very angry over the total lack of progress in resolving them.

As far as the rant about "User Error" goes, that is the BS. My board had cold boot problems out of the box at stock setting and managed to achieve the 4 LEDs of Death syndrome at those very same settings after a CPU Change necessitated unplugging my PSU. There have been many other problems such as improperly soldered CPU Sockets, poor SATA Raid performance, dissapearing IDE sound and network devices, fluctuating voltages that prevent stable operation at stock settings, etc... DFI has not responded to these in a timely or effective manner.

Finally, just in case you were wondering, I am anything but a noob. My first OC was on a TRS-80. Kicked that Z80 up to 2.4 MHz and upped the RAM to 32K (allowed 2 programs to run simultaneously via bank switching).

Most, if not the vast majority, of the users problems are related to poor quality control and support from DFI.

Kingsack no one is calling you a newb. Here's a summary of what's going on:

There are a lot of issues with these boards. They have been covered, reported, offered fixes, and been beaten to death. This is fine, it's what the forum is for. HOWEVER. If you go to this forum on a regular basis you will have noticed that every other thread is either a "OMG DFI SUX ^_^ I"M GOING ABIT!!!", "HELP! I CAN"T GET 200fsb AND HAVEN'T READ ANYTHING!!", or "**** I MESSED UP MY BIOS BECAUSE I DON'T BOTHER READING". The other issue is that people simply post without reading, without thinking, and without knowing what they are doing. AG and RG have started many threads asking users with specific problems to report their issues, what they did, etc so they can start to fix these issues. 90% of the responses are bull****. They want to help, but all the people who can't keep their opinions to themselves impeed this process greatly. Offical reps shouldn't have to dig through the garbage just for a few appropriate responses.
This thread is a great example, you didn't even get the gist of that moderator's post correctly. Instead of talking about the issues of people being ignorant and not knowing what they are doing, you are saying that DFI is going down the ****ter because you glanced at one thread posted by a moderator.
Personally I feel that there should be two DFI boards, one where they have complete control, and one where users post.
While DFI boards do have some issues (cold-boot, warped ziff, poor sata performance) these are things you should research before buying. And you know what? If you board is defective then RMA it. You don't need to post a rant, no one cares. If you're ****ed about poor sata performance, you should have bought something else. Cold booting is a very minor problem in the scheme of things (one which I've never faced, and the new bioses are supposed to cure).
If you're not willing to work a little on your computer, DFI isn't for you. If you are, the results are phenominal. Abit, asus, etc cannot compare (i went from a nf7-s v2 to dfi). Do research before you buy. Do research before you overclock. Do research before you flash. And for God's sake, do some research before you RMA your board and start screaming at DFI reps!

crimedog said:
Kingsack no one is calling you a newb. Here's a summary of what's going on:

There are a lot of issues with these boards. They have been covered, reported, offered fixes, and been beaten to death. This is fine, it's what the forum is for. HOWEVER. If you go to this forum on a regular basis you will have noticed that every other thread is either a "OMG DFI SUX ^_^ I"M GOING ABIT!!!", "HELP! I CAN"T GET 200fsb AND HAVEN'T READ ANYTHING!!", or "**** I MESSED UP MY BIOS BECAUSE I DON'T BOTHER READING". The other issue is that people simply post without reading, without thinking, and without knowing what they are doing. AG and RG have started many threads asking users with specific problems to report their issues, what they did, etc so they can start to fix these issues. 90% of the responses are bull****. They want to help, but all the people who can't keep their opinions to themselves impeed this process greatly. Offical reps shouldn't have to dig through the garbage just for a few appropriate responses.
This thread is a great example, you didn't even get the gist of that moderator's post correctly. Instead of talking about the issues of people being ignorant and not knowing what they are doing, you are saying that DFI is going down the ****ter because you glanced at one thread posted by a moderator.
Personally I feel that there should be two DFI boards, one where they have complete control, and one where users post.
While DFI boards do have some issues (cold-boot, warped ziff, poor sata performance) these are things you should research before buying. And you know what? If you board is defective then RMA it. You don't need to post a rant, no one cares. If you're ****ed about poor sata performance, you should have bought something else. Cold booting is a very minor problem in the scheme of things (one which I've never faced, and the new bioses are supposed to cure).
If you're not willing to work a little on your computer, DFI isn't for you. If you are, the results are phenominal. Abit, asus, etc cannot compare (i went from a nf7-s v2 to dfi). Do research before you buy. Do research before you overclock. Do research before you flash. And for God's sake, do some research before you RMA your board and start screaming at DFI reps!

Nicely done crimedog, I feel the same way as you.Excellent post.

And kingsack, I wasn't pointing a finger at any certain one.It was just crazy as hell how folks where treating Rgone and Angry.Hell crimedog's post says it all.

:) :)

I read some of their posts and I feel for the ppl working for DFI. They can't help everyone, and they don't need crap thrown at them. And it does look like ppl just read a few posts about DFI boards and bought them expecting them to work like demons. They didn't bother to read about the problems associated with the boards.

Lesson to all: Research a lot b4 you buy anything.

I'm sure that dfi-street.com will be a useful site to visit and that many will find help there. On the other hand I would be concerned that the viewpoint will be rather biased. For one thing I think that any newbs should definately be warned off of these boards, they will definately be getting in over their heads. I even got caught myself when my board went belly up before my RD1 arrived (not a total loss as its living comfortably in my NF7-S now). The other thing that continues to bother me is the total dearth of Official BIOS. I know that this problem has been beaten to death and I am aware that it's not the Tech Reps fault but I tried emailing every single DFI email address I could lay my hands on about some of these issues and got not a single response! When the rest of the company ignores you completely then what do they expect?

Anyway, I agree that there is no room for personal attacks on the Tech Repsut I'm not so sure that anyone will be well served by censorship of issues that properly make DFI look bad (I think that they probably deserve a somewhat tarnished rep over all of the problems and a tatal lack of fixes and an apparent lack of interest in their custopmers problems.) I personally won't be using their products again anytime soon and won't be recommending that others use them.

I think this new forum is a great thing for all dfi users. I also am happy whenever someone gives up on dfi and goes to abit (good riddance). This forum is attracting some highly skilled overclockers and modders, and we won't have to sift through the manure that PCP had. :)

People keep talking about viewpoint but what the hell are you talking about? We don't want people to discuss these boards we want to get the most out of them. If you want to ponder over whether or not you should buy a DFI then you can post on PCP or OCF, and read at DFI forums. The forum is for tech and overclocking SUPPORT. If you're curious then read and make a descision.

I don't blame dfi for leaving at all. They are aware of the problems with their products, but that doesn't mean they need to put up with total bs from users by participating in a forum and attempting to help people, which is something they never had to do in the first place. also, just because dfi reps have control of a forum for troubleshooting, overclocking help, etc, how in the world would it be biased? what, just because they delete a 3 page rant by someone who flashed their bios with a beta version?

dfi does not have to do anything "just because", and they certainly don't have to put up with absolutely anything in the process.

Back