• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SP1/ 130Gig limits

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tabrin

I've got an Oooooooold version of XP Pro which doesn't have SP1 on the disk. I seem to recall jimmying windows into letting me use a 250 gig drive as one partition before on install, and I want to be able to do that again since I'm tired of having three partitions just to use all the space that I have. How exactly do you go about doing this? Would you need to have windows on a different drive, install SP1, format the 250G as a 250gig partition minus the 30ish gigs of disk info space and install a clean copy of XP onto that?

And where can I download SP1 as an install .exe instead of the automatic junk that you get from Windows Update? Right now I can't hook this computer up to the internet, so I need to get an installer on my laptop and transfer it via a firewire drive.

Tabrin said:
Right now I can't hook this computer up to the internet, so I need to get an installer on my laptop and transfer it via a firewire drive. [/B]

Ah, perhaps I should have been a bit clearer on that. It doesn't matter though, as I found SP1a's network installer (what you use to install SP1 on multiple computers).

But that still leaves the problem of how to get a drive formatted 250 Gigs and stick windows on said 250gig drive when said drive is blank (i.e. without SP1) after the format. :p

Last edited:
the computer your runing right now have sp1? if so you can always hook it up as a slave and format it under windows and then take it out put it to master then install windows on it. but u siad in the other post that u had a laptop. im guessing thats what your on right now? and that being siad. it would be kinna hard to do that sin laptop hd'z are dif,

Ya really got 3 options here,

1) Get windows XP with service pack 1

2) Make 2 partitions

3) Make 1 partition 120gb,
install service pack 1,
use partition magic and extent the partition to
the full length of the drive.

4) Make you own windows XP CD Slipstream spk1
http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp1-bootcd.html

FYI

When someone use the term slipstream it means the install CD has Service pack what ever already applied to the cd.. So when you do the install all the patches, fixes have already been applied.

I believe it's easier than all that. Just make one big partition. Then format it (in NTFS) and install windows XP. After Windows XP is installed then install SP1. You can always install XP on a drive more than 137GB you just can't put more than 137GB worth of data on it before installing SP1.

are you sure you didn't download a patch or something? i think it came out as a windows update

Excelsior said:
Why is it with my Windows XP (Orginal from 2001) allow me to view the full 160GB of my drive?.. It has no Service Packs.. just standard XP...o_O

I believe it would just corrupt any data written over the 137GB mark.

Back