• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for MicroATX, socket A, 8X, 4 DDR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aharpro26

Registered
I am looking for a MicroATX motherboard that will run my AMD Athlon XP 2400+ at 266 FSB. I really want one that is really good for games and lots of RAM. Preferably, 8X AGP and 4 slots of DDR. I was looking at the Shuttle MN31N. I know it only has 3 slots of DDR, but that's the best i have found. If you can find a mobo like this, what is the highest my CPU could run at?

Welcome to the Forums!

I run 2 MN31Ns with Barton 2500+ and they're great. Only FSB and memory timings for options, no voltages or multipliers but those can be done with the wire\pin mod if you want. I don't know of any mATX boards with 4 dimm slots. Soundstorm audio is awesome, onboard graphics can be tweaked to game nicely or used for a back-up should your AGP card crap out.

Regards, Balrog

You will not find any boards with four slots. There just isn't enough room. Plus most ATX boards don't even have 4.

Either the MN31N or Biostar's M7NCG 400 are going to be your best chocies. For overclocking pick the M7NCG if this is for normal use, then pick the shuttle.

I have decided to go with the shuttle.
Only FSB and memory timings for options, no voltages or multipliers but those can be done with the wire\pin mod if you want.
I'm new to overclocking. What is this wire/pin mod and is it safe?

You basically wrap a wire around some of the cpu's pins. This fakes the bios into thinking the cpu requires more a higher default voltage. It is safe as long as you have the required cooling.

Last edited:
Yeah its safe as long as you do it properly and don't go overboard with voltages and multis. Its nice because its not a permanent mod like painting bridges. It would be a good idea to test the OC of your CPU on a full sized board that supports OCing to help you determine what multis and voltages you want to run, it will save you some time and effort in trial and error. This guide shows what pins to connect to change the VCore and\or multi.

Regards, Balrog

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/workshop.html

I have a ThermalTake Slim Volcano 10+. I'm not too confident of going to those measures to overclock. I'll stick with whatever i can get out of the BIOS. thanks for your help

Back