• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800pro voltmod = success

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandrock

First try killed the first card, but I got it right for the second one! I'm really liking this mod, looks spiffy, and it'll get me some "l33t" points with my lan buddies.

Question though, what voltages are the max I should run to the core/mem? I have Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer w/ AS5 and OCZ copper bga ramsinks attached with mixture of AS5/AS adhesive. Also a 120mm side fan blowing directly across the card. What does everyone think are safe voltages to run at? Stock was 1.68v vgpu and 2.89v vmem.

Did you solder or use SMD grabbers? Just out of curiosity. I'm thinking of doing the vGPU mod myself.

I did this mod myself a while back and I soldered (its fairly easy). Just make sure you use a fine tipped and 15w soldering iron and get like a small drop of solder to hang on the wire. Then just slightly touch the wire and the soldering pad on the card with the iron and quickly remove, that's it, easy breezy.

I am running water cooling and would definitly be interested in knowing the maximum safe voltage (currently I got it running at 1.8v for a couple of months).

I soldered it on. I shorted the first card trying to get a vgpu reading, so this time around, I took a female molex connector, wired that to the gpu read point, and mounted it above my vr, that way I can stick my multimeter probe into the molex connector, and the other end into an empty ground connector, and get an easy reading without shorting anything. I'll try to get some pics if I can.

wow you did it the sofisticated way. I just soldered a wire to the reading point and looped it on the other end. I just stick the probe in the loop when I am trying to measure the voltage. When I am done, just cover the loop with electric tape to keep it from accedental shorting.

I don't have the soldering skillz or the iron, but I was thinking I'd use an SMD grabber for both reading the voltage and attaching the resistor. Would that be a bad idea?

I'm on water and wondering about the max safe volts (hopefully without long term degradation) as well.

well with air I would stay in the 1.8 to 1.85 max regime. Anything higher gets kinda hot. Don't know about long term effects though, but depends what you mean by LONG TERM, I mean if it dies in 3 years, who cares, you need another one by then anyways right?

i've always heard 1.9v is the tops :)

johan851, go to rat shack and pick up a 15w iron ($8), a fine tip ($1), some flux ($3), and a desoldering braid ($2). Practice on something old. It's really quite simple :)

Back