• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

guess when new Prescott D-0 arrives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
Earlier articles suggested the new Prescott stepping would be released on May 7th. We all know that was a lie now. Care to take a guess at when we might expect to see it?

Intel recently announced that they would delay their typical May price reduction until June 20th. So, that's my guess for the new stepping release. In the past, Intel released new steppings and new higher speed CPU's at the same time they dropped prices. Any other guesses?

it will arrive 24 hours after you break down and buy a C0 prescott outa boredom :D

a few have popped up from what i had seen in a few forums.
but i think intel is doing some redesigning for some heat issues and perfecting the process a bit before they release it fully.
temps look a little better on the ones spotted making me think this is whats going on.

an actual guess? hmmmm another month imo.

my system is little over 1 week old am im looking at the new socket intels and also the 939 amd's.i hate boredom also lol

I just hit 4.0 with my 3.0c and I'm already bored too. I'm guessing about a month after the price drop only cause its kinda tough for them to improve the core all that much considering the problems they are having.

The new D0 stepping will manifest itself within my pants on the following date:

June 18th, 2090

after seeing this was a false release date for the new prescott i went and bought a 3.0c sl6wu 30 caps from newegg. got tired of waiting for d0 prescotts to show up.

quite happy so far-- easily over 3.6ghz (cuz it's running stable at that now on default vcore). i bet i'll hit around 3.7-3.8 when i'm done tweaking (only had it a day).

now i can give these prescotts a few months to actually appear and mature, and to see if they're worth it or not. im good for the long haul :)

Last edited:
I found out that Intel is planning on releasing the 3.6 on the new socket on June 20th, so they will almost surely release the new socket 478 Prescott stepping then too.

But, I'm about ready to do the same thing Flakk did. I have a guy at work that is going to buy my 2.8C in a couple weeks. So, I "need" to get my watercooled system back up and running soon. It might be a good thing to let the new Prescott steppings mature a couple more months.

batboy said:
It might be a good thing to let the new Prescott steppings mature a couple more months.

Nah, this is a never ending story. There will always be better releases. :)

I think I'm gonna pick up a 2.8E or 3.0E soon. I'm tired of waiting. Then when the new steppings come out I'll sell my worst Northwood and replace it with a D0. All I use them for is SETI anyway so I can't go wrong. I just have to make sure not to push a lot of voltage through them cuz I don't feel like cooling or worrying about the mosfets.

maybe we can wait till June 20th.
this one month will pass fast :)
and if then Intel will not give us new prescott, just buy old one

Since there's a price drop on June 20th anyway, that gives extra incentive to wait, but I ain't the patient type.

yeah i know what u mean batboy. i already had waited since february to buy a chip.. there's only so many delays i can take before i snap!

maybe we can wait till June 20th.
this one month will pass fast
and if then Intel will not give us new prescott, just buy old one
or get a northwood. i wouldn't ever use a prescott that runs as hot (with air cooling) as they do now.

TBH im not phased by the prescotts, i cant afford to upgrade chips like you guys do but i'd buy a 3.0c over a prescott anyday. :)

~t0m

Back