• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ga-7dpxdw+ and two mobile 2600's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zabs

Registered
Long time reader, first time poster (please be gentle.)

I just recently raided newegg for a dual Gigabyte board and a pair of mobile processors because I had been reading some time ago about it's ability to use the processors in smp without modding the cpu's.

I got xp installed and was having the "only 1 cpu detected everynow and then" problem, but that seems to have worked itself out now that I've got all the current AMD drivers on the board.

The cpu's are currently running at 800Mhz (6x multiplier) which I had counted on. I downloaded CPUMSR and am attempting to ramp up the multiplier. I have tried changing to various multipliers and voltages. I have also tried adjusting the FID/VID cycles, but no matter what I try the moment I hit that "set" button the system locks.

I've tried searching, but can't find much info regarding solving the problem. Perhaps I am just not searching for the right things. If this has been covered elsewhere, all I need is a shove in the right reading direction and I will be more than happy to do the reading.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

I am Running that same board pin moded at 18x with 2x 2000+ Mp processors.

Yeah pin modding was going to be the permanent solution. I was just hoping to get an idea of high high I could go and maintain stability without having to pull the HS/F and processors each time. Guess I'll just aim high to begin with :).

I hope to get 2.3 - 2.4 Ghz out of these without bumping up the FSB (I'm too worried about both the onboard raid and my IDE raid card stability to push the fsb much past stock)....2.5 would put me in smp heaven.

I have to take it easy though, until I get in some new heatsinks. I'm running lapped AMD retail HS/F's that came with some old palamino processors! HAHAH!

One more question: For the pin mod using a floppy cable wire do I use the entire braided wire? or just a single strand?

(I swear I'm searching guys...I just really suck.)

Well I've gone and done something. :D

I first mounted the 2 new cpu's and let them run @ 800mhz over night crunching rc-72 with no problems.

I started out pin modding a single processor on the board to get an idea of where I would want my settings. I tried testing an 18x multiplier (2400Mhz) and moved my voltage up from 1.575 to 1.675 to finally reach stability, but temps were too high to maintain with my current cooling. So I dropped the multiplier down to 17X an started at 1.65 volts. Everything was stable under the load of rc-72 for several hours and temps were a bit high, so I decided to see how low I could get the voltage. I continued dropping the voltage successfully while maintaining stability for at least an hour at each voltage all the way down to 1.575. I next tried 1.550 and upon pin modding that voltage, and powering it up, all I got were spinning fans. No post, no beeps, nothing. I figured the processor was starved for power and that I should simply run at 1.575. So I set the original processor back and pinned out the 2nd one exactly the same. I still got No post, no beeps, nothing.

Since then I have undone all pin mods, tried a different vid card, a different power supply, I have pulled the memory all together (just looking for some beeps at this point, and a different cpu. Still no post, no beeps, nothing. I have also tried clearing the cmos, even though no bios changes were made from the time it was working to the time it stopped.

It seems the motherboard has died, but I don't understand how??? I was wondering if anyone had any insight on what might have happened?

Moddified (thermal pad removed, lapped to a near mirror finish) AMD retail heatsink w/shin-etsu for thermal grease, the OLD ones that used to come with Paliminos...not the newer (and better) ones that are rated for 2500+.

Please keep in mind the CPU's still work in another board when tested. So, no problems there. During my testing my temps never exceeded 63C (that's internal diode temp, not skin temp) and thats even after removing and replacing the HS/F nearly a dozen times without re-doing the grease. The difference between idle and loaded temp was never more than about 4 degrees C. The temps were really not that bad considering.

Everything was completely stable at 1.575 pin modded volts, actual core voltage was about 1.52 (it swayed from 1.50 - 1.52, but Mothermoard monitor said the average after several hours was 1.52.)

Again, I assume the board is dead, unless anybody has any last minute suggestions. What really bothers me the most is that I don't know what happened to it. I don't generally just mysteriously destroy hardware and if it's something I did I want to make sure I don't ever do it again. :D

Your problem is the heatsink. If you want to get anywhere with overclocking your chips you need to invest in a nice heatsink, preferably an all copper one. I would recomend an SLK(any one you can afford). Be careful to get one that fits your board.

Looks like I have to RMA the board first. :)

I have a pair of Vantec Aeroflow's on my other dual rig (A pair of palamino XP 1800's.) The plan was once things got stable to move those coolers over to the new setup and sell off the old one. Guess my plans will have to be postponed.

I'll go over each of the sockets while they are open with a flashlight and see what I can see.

thanks for the tip.
Any others?

This may be a little extreme, but you might want to try taking a vacuum cleaner hose to the sockets, in case a piece of wire is stuck inside one of the socket holes.

try each item in another computer if you can do this . you may need to take the board out and try it outside the case. i went through this once even with remove the atx connector i still had to remove the battery to clear the bios . the jumper wasnt doing the job for some reason

Jen

Back