• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

512 or 1gb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Homey

Registered
I know this question has been asked a hundread times but I'm still quite undecided. Those who have made the upgrade: was it worth it? general system performace boost or for what programs?

1G is defiently worth it...system runs faster...games run faster...epsecially the newer games like Far Cry...

Sidenote: I see you are at PU...I used to go over to PU every weekend to check out the "sites" ;)...I only live about 45 miles east of Lafayette...

I THINK 512 is enough right now. but I think it will be outdated within the year.

if you are looking to save money you could buy a single stick of 512 for now, and know that you should purchase a second identical stick within the next 6-12months.

I just went for the gig to have it done with. right now far cry is the only game that can really outdo 512k(some online RTS like warcraft with many units, or simcity type stuff can also tax a system by shear volume of data) but for the most part, its just farcry, doom and HL will need a gig though, thats what Id expect to need to add the second 512 for down the road.

yeah I'm debating cuz I've been offered to trade my single 512 stick for 2x256 (which is a pretty good deal considering 2x256 is worth more)

It really comes down to this...if you are a gamer or system speed freak...1G is what you definetly want now...Far Cry, BF1942 and a few other games will love you for the 1G...especially FC...and Windows XP/W2K will love it...(kind of like when running 98 with 512MB of ram)...

If a normal user...stick with the 512 and run it as 2x256 (as mentioned above)...

2x256 is better for speed. and if your good with 512 thats the better option. but you cant upgrade that very well is the downside.

1 gig. I use to say 512 was plenty. After going from 1 gig back down to 512 for a short stint, you can definately tell a difference in games........especially if you ever have to alt-tab between apps. I swear BF1942 seems like it takes half the time to load with a full gig of RAM.

MassiveOverkill said:
1 gig. I use to say 512 was plenty. After going from 1 gig back down to 512 for a short stint, you can definately tell a difference in games........especially if you ever have to alt-tab between apps. I swear BF1942 seems like it takes half the time to load with a full gig of RAM.

i agree...i just upgraded this week to 1gig. farcry ran about 100 times better. its pretty sad that 1gig is becoming normal....it almost makes me want to cry

Im going to be upgrading to 1gb ASAP. i had 768mb i gave a stick to my brother in law since he only had 256mb. and i can tell my system has slowed down. its getting to a min of 512mb and for gaming to have 1gb

Went from 512MB pc5000 Rambus to 1 GB pc4000 Corsair DDR.

Much tighter timings, feels a tad faster in windows, and games perform a good deal better as well. Loading times haven't changed much, but they will after i get my RAID setup :cool:

OK. Most people agree that 1G is better for gaming (like FarCry).
I want to ask that, with 1G ram, the game will be just loaded faster?
or the game can be actually played smoother? higher FPS?

current games shouldnt get much of an FPS boost just from getting up to a gig of ram. I believe you should notice better load times. 512 to 1gb didnt make that big of a difference to me, but i sure as hell dont have any probs alt+tab'ing out of ut2k4 or CoH and doing other things without any slowdown now

no the games wont actually load faster (if by loading faster you mean from the moment you click on them till the moment the game is up on your screen and playable). That has to do mostly with HDD speed. for instance running a raid0 array has improved my load times.

if your a gamer, all the new generation games will likely need 1 gig of ram to be played how you would want them to be played. If your not a hardcore gamer my suggestion is to look at your memery in use ( control alt delete). if your anywhere near 100% in use while just doing your daily business i would suggest upgrading.

I had 512 until last week, what promted me to upgrade was about 90% of my memory in use while just doing nothing but dicking around. I then decided to go to 1gig, and man did it make a difference in everything (and especially games)

Back