• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Partition manipulation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
Is there a way to manipulate partitions in linux without losing data? I have a FAT32 partition that I want to stretch to take over the entire harddrive (and partition magic isn't co-operating :-/)

I believe parted can modify fat32 partitions? I'm not sure but their docs may be around somewhere...I'll see if I can find it.

Again, I think the application that may suit you would be one called "parted" (the ((I think)) GNU Partition editor)

Brian

*edit* Here's the index of their doc's page which has just about anything you could need for it :). I hope it helps, and I'm sure it supports FAT32 becuase under the resize command it said supported file systems: ....FAT32 I hope it helps

Partition Magic does all of that. It resizes, moves, deletes, adds, and does everything else you can imagine with partitions, including linux.

However, it's not free. Even so, I'd recommend owning it, the product is quite well done and very easy to use and reliable.

I'll take a look into parted, thanks.

As for partition magic, I own it.. great program, except it isn't exactly co-operating with me on this one. So far I've lost about 10~ gigs of data that got corrupted when partition magic froze in the middle of a resize, and when I left it "recovering" all night, it didn't go anywhere. Now it doesn't want to touch the harddrive.. gives me errors when I do try to do anything.

I think I'm going to just move all the data off, blow everything away and start over.

Wow, partition magic isusually very safe. That sucks.

parted or qtparted

I think there is also a command growfs that might work.

Back