• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Every One With 5v Problems Read This!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Cheers for mentioning that - I'm thinking of getting an 8K7a soon, and if I have the 5V problems I'll know where to look for a fix! Just hope my psu has those pots in, I think I've heard mention of them before and hopefully most do :)

Im gunna take apart my antec 300w tomarow... im geting high 5.47 low 5.48's, so I need it bad. The antec 400w has em some guy said. This is great stuff. O btw epox 8kha is my mobo, and i think its reading lower then it is becuase i have no stabality issiues even at 4.79 lol, but I would definitly like to see it at 5v load.

soory it took awhile to upadte.

my psu didn't have what i wanted which is a shame, would of made a great article. i really needed it too my 5v on the 8k7a was 4.91 atload (same psu on diff. mobo is 5.05v) with a duron 1.6 vcore

Last edited:
A low voltage level on the +5V line affects the CPU and PCI card primarily. The CPU core voltage is taken off the +5V rail so any fluctuations are pretty serious as far as stability under load and overclockability are concerned.

Humm you have tweaked my immagination. I just ordered a 400 watt A1 electronics psu, I wonder if it has potentiometers to play with. With my sparkle 300 watt I get 5.08 no load but as low as 4.66 with load. I hope I don't have to rip open my new psu but I will if my 5v is to low. BTW I am running at 1600 mhz 1.91v.

Update: I craked open my sparkle and it had 2 pots. I turned the one all the way to the right and my 5v rail went up about .2v. Under load I was getting 4.66-4.72 but now I'm at 4.88-4.92. My idle voltge is up from 5.08 to 5.25.

Does anyone have experience with A1 power supplies?

Last edited:
Bender said:
Humm you have tweaked my immagination. I just ordered a 400 watt A1 electronics psu, I wonder if it has potentiometers to play with. With my sparkle 300 watt I get 5.08 no load but as low as 4.66 with load. I hope I don't have to rip open my new psu but I will if my 5v is to low. BTW I am running at 1600 mhz 1.91v.

Update: I craked open my sparkle and it had 2 pots. I turned the one all the way to the right and my 5v rail went up about .2v. Under load I was getting 4.66-4.72 but now I'm at 4.88-4.92. My idle voltge is up from 5.08 to 5.25.

I don't have ne but were did you get it and for how much? i may be interested if its a good psu for a good price.

Bender said:

Hey Bender I have the FSP300-60BT(12v) Sparkle psu is this the same you have?

If yes which one of those two pots did you turn all the way to the right?

Do you think 4.88-4.92 is ok or should I still look into a new psu? By the way do you have rev1.0 or rev1.1 , I have a 1.1 do you know if the problem is with both of these revisions. I havent actually set my system up yet but I assume they all have this problem.

Paul -The Mad Hatter said:
soory it took awhile to upadte.

my psu didn't have what i wanted which is a shame, would of made a great article. i really needed it too my 5v on the 8k7a was 4.91 atload (same psu on diff. mobo is 5.05v) with a duron 1.6 vcore

As long as your 5.0 v rail is within 5% it is "within spec." with a 5 volt rail of 4.91 what was your vcore and cpu speed?

Josh

Bender said:

Hi Bender,

I read about the thread over amdmb.com forums about adjusting the POTs to increase the 5v rail. At work we had our battery powered lift die on us and a tech came over to repair it. I picked his brain about power supplies and asked him what effect would adjusting the POTs have on the life expectancy and performance of a power supply. He told me that that an adjustment of 1 to 3 clicks was fine as long as the adjustments were done to all the POTs in the power supply. He said it was a bad idea to adjust just one POT and not all of them. Just a little FYI, I really don't know jack about this and I don't really know if the repairman did either.

Josh

Jbslow I believe my psu is a FSP300-60GT not BT. I have no idea what the difference is between the two though. If I remember correctly I adjusted the pot nearest the PSUs fan. The pot was nearly maxed out but the little it turned made a big difference. As far as psu life is concerned; I believe an extra fan on my PSU will negate any bad effects my pot adjustment made.

Josh said:

As long as your 5.0 v rail is within 5% it is "within spec." with a 5 volt rail of 4.91 what was your vcore and cpu speed?

Josh

duron @ 600 1.6v which is horrible! once i get my get my 8k7a running again and at voltages like 2.05 and 1ghz It will be pretty low

Within 5%, so that means a 5v reading of at least 4.75 should be ok?Mine is 4.68 and I haven't had any problems.How can I get a reading other than the the one in the bios or from software?I'm assuming this is a wrong reading but would like to know by how much.

the change in voltage from idle to load is even more important than the rail itself.
that psu u guys are talkin about doesnt sound good at all. if its at 5.25idle and dropping to 4.90 its variating like .30v or more. ud be better off with one that is always .1v or less of a variation.
the board gets used to a slightly lower rail, but a badly fluctuating one is real bad news, it means the psu cant handle the power drain the systems putting on it.
the 400w antec varies no more than .03-.05v, and its like 60$ on newegg
u need to look at the watts the psu puts out on each line, not the total. there are 300w enlights that put out more power on the =3.3& 5v lines than 430w generic ones.
and enermax arent that good, despite popular belief. thats why they dont work good on epox boards. they cant handle the load
u can compare a psu's quality fairly accurately by holding it. the heavier the better, usually. lighter ones use less regulators and transformers and generally have less inside than heavy ones. more stuff inside=better psu(usually)
-Malakai

Back