• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up an IRC server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArBiTaL 24

There is no spoon
I've been using and learning IRC for a little while now... And I'd like to practice my skills a little more, so here's the big question:
How do I go about setting up my own IRC server, and configuring it? I have a server hosting my website, so I could use that one to host the server...

eh, if its like most webhosting, they will not let you run a service like that. if you have a broadband connection, you can use your computer to do it. if you ahve a linux box, install ircd and use that. if you have a windows box, you need a win32 version of ircd. if you cant find it with a bit of googling, i can post the download on my website later today.

So that'll allow you to create a server just like DALnet or EFnet or whatever? Does it have the same power? Also, will it get quite busy? Because my lil broadband connection might not be able to cope ^_^

Anyway I'll give it a shot, thanks :)

Back