• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help! Virus maybe.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silent Frog

I dunno if this is the right place for this but what the hell. Heres my problem and my question.

I have a 80gig hdd. I have it in two partions, C: (5gig), D: (the rest), I have Windows XP Pro on C:.
When I was surfing the internet last night NOD32, the virus scaner I use (updated that night), came up with a file in C:\Window\System32\***some file name.*** I hit the delete button and it said it couldn't delete it. So then I went into the system32 folder and deleted it my self. Before I shut down my computer, I scaned C:\. I found a few files in the temp internet files, I deleted them, and then it said it was clean.
I turned on my computer this morning and done a few things, then shut down. I turned it on this after noon and it boots to the XP boot selection menu, then in 1 or 2 secs it restarts the computer, and so on. I tried to bood with a Win98 boot disk but when it gets to the selection menu on the disk it does that same as the XP one...
Could this be a virus? How can I fix this? And seems I had my handheld (Toshiba e400) pluged in, would the virus be on my e400?
I don't really care about the data on C:\, But I must get the data off of D:\ (which has over 50gig of stuff) What can I do? How can I boot, even into DOS, just so I can run NOD for DOS. Help please... I need my PC back ASAP!
Also, I went into the BIOS to see if anything had gone wrong, everything was ok still, but then it restarted. Dunno if it had anything to do with my problem, because it is working now (not restarting in the BIOS, still at the boot menus tho).
Thanks.

Don't worry... ahhh... Cos I run on Solar/Wind power I have an invertor... and it needed resetting, it was only pumping out 141Volts, should be 240 (cos im in Australia) I'm happy now... IT WORKS AGAIN!!! YAY! .. hmm

Back