Notices

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.
Forum Jump

Does wireless make THAT much of a difference in gaming?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 05-23-04, 07:43 PM Thread Starter   #1
SavageBasher

Does wireless make THAT much of a difference in gaming?

Just wondering... since I've been able to get 2ms pings from my router to the computer on 802.11b. I know Cat5-6 is supposed to be <1ms for 50 yards or something. So will the 2ms latency make that much of a difference?
SavageBasher is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-23-04, 07:48 PM   #2
depthad

it doesnt really hurt my game play at all. i do notice because of the fluctuations in signal STR but other then that no.
depthad is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-24-04, 07:31 PM   #3
Sucka

Even with my Notebook in the same room as my router, i notice spikes more than anything, very breif, but enough to cause a problem for fps games imo.

Heatware
Sucka is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-24-04, 08:18 PM   #4
Xenocide

i notice lag when im playing unreal and on ventrillo, but if im not on voice chat its fine

Old 05-25-04, 08:45 AM   #5
mbentley
Gloriously Lead
Overclockix Chief Architect
In stealth mode

10 Year Badge

one thing that you should do is make sure that your antennae is not near any wires on the back of your computer (if you are using a wirless nic) and also you might want to try to move around the access point to get the best signal. i moved my wap to the opposite side of a room that is tiny (moving it only about 8 feet) and the signal went from average to very good and my range is better. cables like your video cable seem to carry some bit of interference from what i can tell so try to mess with the antennae and your cables to provide low pings.

to test with pings, just use the "ping <ip address or host name> -t -l 1024" command in a command prompt window. that will continuously ping that ip address/host name (whichever you use) with a kilobyte of data (i have found that a larger packet size can indicate variances in pings easier, but your ping time will increase) and try to minimize the ping time. then simple do a normal ping and check the ping time.

this is what i did to get my wireless up and running smoothly. i kept getting dropped servers in multiplayer games and this fixed all of that.

good luck.

forum rules | overclockix | overclockers geforce survey | mbentley.net
mbentley is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-25-04, 12:47 PM Thread Starter   #6
SavageBasher

Ok, I was just wondering because I plan on getting an AP/bridge for my ps2, which is upstairs. My sister's pc, which is in the room next to the one with the ps2, has a wireless card, and both her signal strength and the other thing at 80 or above. Not bad for the router being in the basement!
SavageBasher is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.