• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about SGI IRIX machines

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

Hey guys. Im big into video editing and graphics and such. I asked about irix awhile ago, having heard it was good for graphics and all. I see ALOT of the SGI boxes on ebay, and theyre pretty expensive, and will be only about 200-400mhz with closer to a gig of ram, all SCSI drives, and the 6.5 version of irix. I heard many of these CPUs are 64bit and were way before apple and AMD released theirs.

So whats the standard speed today for the SGI boxes?

SGI use a different achitecture than everyone else. You can't really compare the MHz value to AMD or Apple. I have a Sun Ultra 60 sitting next to me that contains dual UltraSPARC 450MHz and it'll definitly give my Athlon 3000+ a run for it's money.

Also, I believe you are correct about most SGI boxes being 64bit. Apple and AMD are no were near the first people to put out 64bit chips. IBM has the Power4, Intel has the Intanium and Intanium 2, Sun has the UltraSPARC, Digital had the Alpha. These all pre-date anything AMD or Apple have done in the 64 bit world. Infact, Apple's G5 is a baby brother to IBM's Power4.

On your question on SGI speeds, their website says their workstations run between 700 and 800 MHz.

I think for normal video editting you might be better off with a nice Apple and Final Cut Pro or a nice x86 machine and Adobe Premier. SGI machines are mostly used for 3D rendering, like what is done at Pixar, and they are supposedly rapidly being replaced with x86 machines and Apple xServes I believe.

Ahh i see. That was the impression i was geting, more 3D rendering.

Dual 450mhz wow that had to cost.

Would you guys say these things are better than 3Dsmax and Maya? My little brother is huge into that stuff.

I don't know what software SGI uses for it's rendering, but the price isn't worth it. Just get an Athlon and get a copy of Maya or 3DSMax.

Dual 450mhz wow that had to cost.
Nah, it's not really mine. My dad brought it home because no one (local hospitals) needed it. Eventually some one will want it and I'll have to whipe it and give it back, but it's nice while I have it. :)

Last edited:
why does everyone get so lucky like that? i always hear of people getting free computers, laptops...god you should see the one this little girl got for free....1.6ghz p4, 20gig hdd ....wish i didnt have to give it back lol

So i take it your not into 3D rendering and all that?

Back