• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using a Pentium M in a Desktop PC ? (OVERCLOCK IT :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goden99

I just got this idea when my friend bought sold his old 2500+ barton and got an AMD barton mobile chip system and it overclocked like crazy (not just the unlocked multiplyers) but I am guessing because it is designed to give less heat so it can easly be pushed more :)

Now When I read this review
http://www.legitreviews.com/reviews/whitebox1/3.html
I thought HUMMMM Intel PEntium M in a Desktop and OVerclocking :)

Anyone Tryed that ?

I am just wondering is there a mobile chip that supports it which has dual channel DDR400 support ?

The Pentium M doesn't fit P4 socket 478 boards. There are a scant handful of micro atx Pentium M boards that are almost vaporware right now, and almost surely have no overclocking features. In short, not really possible yet.

Im curious about this as well. I have a P3-M at work that's 1200 MHZ and it's socket 478...hjust by quick visual inspection it looks to be about the same size as a desktop P4 chip..maybe I'll bring it home from work tomorrow and try it out ;=)...that is of course if it fits..

_Siph

The mobile P3 is even a longer shot - it's not compatible with the bus design of the Pentium M and P4. The mobile socket 478's have 478 pins, but not in exactly the same arrangement as the P4's.

read the threads about the pentium m dothan. it has already been oc'd on a laptop and there is a mobo that is made for it but it has not gotten popular yet and is also very costly. we are all hoping to see it become more marketable as this chip has great potential.

98_1.JPG

It's obviously not compatible to desktop mobos...like TC already said.

Is the pinout completely different or did intel only move that one pin so it doesn't fit in desktop boards any more?

Did anyone already try to desolder that one pin, glue it to the space next to it (so it'll fit in a desktop mobo again) and connect it to its usual pinout with a defogger repair kit? :rolleyes:

Crazy idea i know, but it might, perhaps, possibly work...maybe. :D

There are 2 types of Cpu's, a mobile P4 will certainly fit in a 478 mobo, it is better to run it in a Asus board as Asus boards will recognize it better.

Clock for clock the mobile P4 out performs the same desktop counter part. As for Centrino there are next to no desktop motherboards for them.

I am going to buy a laptop soon (a month or two)

I want to know how do you KNOW if the laptop has a dothan cpu or the regular pentium M cpu ?

goden99 said:
I am going to buy a laptop soon (a month or two)

I want to know how do you KNOW if the laptop has a dothan cpu or the regular pentium M cpu ?

Look for specific model numbers - the old Pentium-Ms are listed simply as "1.4, 1.5, 1.6, or 1.7 GHz" parts. The Dothan Pentium-Ms are listed with funny model names - 735, 745, and 755, if I remember right.

The only speed the two families hold in common is the 1.7 GHz point. There are both Banias and Dothan Pentium-Ms at 1.7 GHz. Above that, and they're all Dothans. Below that they're all Banias.

Back