• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can i O/C my cpu in the ILSR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevy8up

I was looking around and i tried a couple of things. but it always came up with the 2109mhz or whatever it was. I think the MSI boards are locked on the FSB but i thought i also heard the multiplier is not. would i be able to bump up the multiplier on my amd 3000+? Currently it is running at 200 FSB and im getting about 2100 mhz out of it.

Im not familiar with O/C but im sure i could squeeze a few more MHZ outta my cpu. also...at full game load im hitting about 50c. Could this be dangerous if i O/C? thanks in advance guys...

kev

Well with your setup Overclocking does not look good.
1. CPU is probably locked as they started locking CPUs on week 39 of 2003, so if you bought it in the last 6 months or longer, its locked and no multipliers can be changed.

2. You are already at 200FSB and your ram is 3200 (400MHz) and you sould be running 1:1 FSB/Dram ratio. Which means anything over 200FSB in bios will be overclocking your ram also.

3. Those temps are not great, If your still useing AMD stock fan then no i would not overclock at all.

Ok ..so i need to get some pc 3700 or pc 4000 for me to bump up the FSB. If i do. I was looking at the corsair XMS but if i do buy more memory...should i go pc 4000?

Kev - Check out my sig.....you and I are running the same proc/mobo/memory combination. All's I did was bump up my Vcore volts to 1.775 and started increasing my FSB 5Mhz at a t ime to end up with 210Mhz. I also set my memory to the "by speed" setting in the BIOS. Anything past 210Mhz and I can POST but as soon as XP finishes booting I get BSOD. Even with more voltage and looser mem timings. I have hit my plateau.......maybe you can hit 215. Good Luck!!

BTW......you will not be able to do anything with the multiplier on this combo, as the chip is mult. locked.

Its much better to leave FSB/Dram Ratio set to 1:1, you will get twice the performance running that way than out of sync.

"by speed" in this situation is 1:1. My RAM is running at 420Mhz. Thanks for the point......I should've been more clear.

Cheers!!

jezter...very nice..i think i shall try this tonight...Im pretty sure my Vcore is set on the stock ..which is like 1.67 or so...I wonder what my GEIL ram can do. Dangit...i knew i shoulda got better ram. I should i use the 1:1 or by speed...it looks like you are saying that it doesnt make a diff. Anyway...my temps on full load are at like 50 or 51C. I may need to just wait and get better cooling in my case before i start O/C. I have the volcano 11 with like 7 case fans or so but case is still an oven. I will let u know.

laters,
kev

the "by speed" option in the BIOS is 1:1. With my box setup the way it is presently, my temps average 45C under average load. Heavy load takes it up to a little over 50C. I'm only using PC3200 RAM as well, so I don't think you will have an issue. Good Luck.

WOW!!! IT WORKED...I havent tested anything but the ram i have is the geil value ram I have it at 220 right now..WOOHOO...im now an overclocker...hehe!!

ok...sorry for the rookie stuff but im excited.

I booted up with 220 x 10.5 =2310 ....im gonna play BHD and find out how this works....ill let you all know....laters...

WOW!!! That's awesome!!! I haven't been able to get mine past 210. Not sure if I have crummy memory or what. What VDIMM did you end up using?? Also, keep an eye on your temps, as mine went up nearly 6C after my OC.

Ok ..i played BHD ..first person shooter multiplayer online for about 5 hours last nite. I never had one problem.

I ran the vcore at 1.7 then lowered today to 1.675. Yes...on pc alert my temps are at 51c. thats why i lowered it to 1.675. i think the ram is still on 2.5 or 2.6. I want to see what i can do..but not till i get some better cooling in there. I need to clean up the wires and get a big 120mm fan for exhaust in the back, FOR NOW...i want to go to water cooling tho.

I obviously have ALOT of room for the FSB. Timings arent even tight. I think they were like 2.5 4/4/9. If i had some pc 4000...oh hell ya...i have a feeling i could do a possible 240 or even 250 fsb. I am considering buying some...hehe.

When i was just goofing around i had my Delta-ILSR up to 225FSB X 11 on my 2100+ T-bred B stable but it was not running 1:1 so 200FSB is as far as i want to go as i have cheap ram. right now im testing 3 settings 193X12.5, 198X12 and 200X11.5, so far 193X12.5 is giving me the highest benchmarks. Keep your benchmarks/settings coming

Back