• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a new proc today, which core C or E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myhre

I've decided that I am definately buying a new proc today from newegg. I'm still having trouble deciding which to get. I'm currently running a 2.8C on a p4c800e-dlx mobo, but I'm getting in a 1gig set of twinx-xms-3200llpro's today. So I definatly want to go ahead and make the jump to a new proc, because I just don't think I'm ready to wait for the "DO" steppings for the prescotts and I'm sure this will be my last p4 anyway. So, what would you guys suggest. I'm looking at the 3.0C, 3.0E, 3.2C and the 3.2E. Any suggestions or comments would be great, thankyou.

So you plan to overclock. What does your cooling setup look like or will look like? From everything that I have read and from what I have experienced personally, the Prescott's are going to require more cool loving to overclock them successfully. Whereas the Northy's aren't going to be as big of an issue..

_Siph

Right now I'm using a Swiftech 5000 Waterblock, with a blackice xtreme 120mm rad, and the swifty mcp600 pump. Thats my main concern with the Prescotts...I'd go for a prescott for sure if I were running a peltier system, or phase change. But I want to keep this case somewhat simple in design, since it's only a mid tower lian li and not my full server case. And I'm hoping to hit at least 250fsb, using corsair 3200llpro's. So I'm thinking I'm going to need to stick with the C in order to accomplish that. I've ruled out the 3.2C. But now I'm actually looking at either getting another 2.8C or a 3.0C. I'm just not sure which has the better stepping out + stronger overclocker/chance to get a cherry chip. Ugh....

well what are your Bios settings you have set so mayb we can help you achieve a higher OC..it's probably a couple settings u dont know about that will help alot so let us know

I think I've tried everything. Tell me if I don't mention something that I could try. I honestly think it might have been my crappy pny 3200 ram. Okay I've tried 5:4, set agp at 33/66, raised v on ram...I'm trying to think of what else I tried, I know there was more, if you have anything else that you think might work I'd be more than happy for the advice.

turn PAT off turbo off ...set timmings to 3-4-4-8 Vdimm to max set your vcore to 1.6...stay in 5:4 but yes it may be your RAM but try these things

Yeah, I had tried all that, except for the PAT off...I was running it on a p4p800 board not a p4c at the time. I'm now waiting on my p4cboard to get back after being RMA'd because of a burned mosfet. Also I've got twinx xms3200llpro corsair inc.

E vs. C ?

Are there any benchmarks or comparisons between the C and E chips? Does the extra memory on the Prescott help performance in any way? Are Prescotts too much of a pain right now? I'm going to be buying one or the other from Newegg within the next couple hours.

I did some comparisons between the 2.8C and 2.8E. At default speeds, the Northwood beat in most benchmarks. At 3.4 gig the Prescott caught up in performance... the Northwood still won some tests, the Prescott edged ahead in memory related benchmarks, and it was a near tie in others. Trouble with the Prescott is that it's hot. At least 10 degrees warmer than the Northwood. If you want a Prescott, wait until the new steppings arrive. If you are buying right away, get the 3.0C.

So which Northwood is a stronger overclocker? The 2.8 or the 3.0? And are they both out with the MO stepping?

Back