• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Documents protection ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Avg

Is there a way to recover files from a previous installation of windows xp with ntfs format?

Is it on a pdiffrent partition. what file format are you using now? and reformat the hole drive before it putin the new installation? and was it an upgrade or a complete new instaltion?

This is what happened some of the system files got damaged and the system wouldn't boot up anymore, so I installed win xp on a different drive and now that I try to access "My Documents" it says that I don't have permition or something like it. The files are on a different drive which is partitioned and the partition which has the "My documents" folder is the only one under NTFS all the other partition are in fat32.

Is there a way were I put the password and login name and it will let me get what is inside?

Help please!!! :cry:

Actually, have you tried Googling the first part of the text of the error? I can 99% of the time find a solution to any Windows problem somewhere else. It's all happened before (or most of it...this seems common enough).

It's not an error it's some kind of windows protection.
I'll post a pic later this afternoon when I get back home.

log on as an administrator, right click on the folder and select security. Go to the advanced tab and take ownership of the files. close the window. Now, right click again and select security, now you can add you new user account with full privlidges.
That will solve the issue...

Will that work even if the files I'm Trying to access is from a previous install?

Thanks

same thing is happening to me .. i just installed a fresh copy of windows on a new drive and i want to access the documents folder from my previous installation and windows is not allowing me to do that

i have tried logging in from administrator and right clicking the folder i get NO security option what so ever i even tried clicking on the drive, no such option for me

If you are talking about sharing and security in that i do get advance tab in general but it have nothing to do with ownership of the files, security and sharing tab only tells me to move to content to shared folders which obviously windows is not allowing me to do

1. Its a fresh install on a new drive freshly formatted with only drivers and service pack 1
2. Previous installation is on another partition

please helpe me out

baqai said:
same thing is happening to me .. i just installed a fresh copy of windows on a new drive and i want to access the documents folder from my previous installation and windows is not allowing me to do that

i have tried logging in from administrator and right clicking the folder i get NO security option what so ever i even tried clicking on the drive, no such option for me

If you are talking about sharing and security in that i do get advance tab in general but it have nothing to do with ownership of the files, security and sharing tab only tells me to move to content to shared folders which obviously windows is not allowing me to do

1. Its a fresh install on a new drive freshly formatted with only drivers and service pack 1
2. Previous installation is on another partition

please helpe me out

are you running xp pro or home?

I wish I could help you all out...but I'm at work right now and running 2000. I'll take a look at XP when I get home tonight and see if I can figure out how it can be done.

I have run into the exact same problem in the past, but I used data recovery software to get the files because I didn't want to mess around w/ XP.

engjohn said:
log on as an administrator, right click on the folder and select security. Go to the advanced tab and take ownership of the files. close the window. Now, right click again and select security, now you can add you new user account with full privlidges.
That will solve the issue...

This kind of worked for me, it did let me open the folders but it didn't let me see the files inside or copy them. Please help these files are very inportant.

:cry:

Last edited:
thanks worked for me .. after a good sleep and fresh mind i sat again and figured it out i had simple file sharing activated therefore i was not finding any security tab, anyways i took the owner ship of the files and now everything is back to normal thanks a lot again :)

This happend to my friend but I wasn't able to recover them. One thing you might try is asking somone who knows linux well if there is a way to read them from Linux. Somtimes it can circumvent certain securities (perhaps not in this case though, I don't know).

This is exactly why I turn off the My Docs file protection and don't use it for most of my stuff.

Avg said:

This kind of worked for me, it did let me open the folders but it didn't let me see the files inside or copy them. Please help these files are very inportant.

:cry:

If you are still having problems send me a PM I can send you a link (when i get home) that will let you download a program that i use all the time to boot into a linux shell and should let you recover your files. If that does not work I do file recovery from damaged harddrives and would recover whatever you needed for free (team 32 perk :) ) you would just have to send me the HD. (plus you might have to join out team 32 folding team!

JK :)

Back