• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would this be a good pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

galador

I am a newbe on this but I want to learn and install a home made water cooling system ( manufactured is just too expensive for a good one ). Would this pump be good?http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...tchallany&Ntx=mode+matchallany&Np=1&N=0&Nty=1
If not, let me know what would be a good cooling setup ( please include water block ). Please don't get exotic because money is an issue, but I do want something that will work well.
Oh, yeah, I was thinking of installing this pump and resevior externally unless somebody has a idea of a better setup.

That pump is probably way too small.

$15 shipped Via Aqua 1300 from drsfostersmith.com
$60 shipped D-Tek WW
$20 from autoparts store 1986 Chevette heatercore
$10 10 feet ClearFlex60 tubing from McMasterCarr
$5 clamps from hardware store
$15 120mm fan of your choice
$1 tupperware shroud from wherever

that's $126, and tough to beat, unless you're a 1300 hater

I would say no to that pump.. if you are looking to get a real cheap pump, I would reccomend the Via aqua which you can get for around the same price as that one. For waterblocks, you can see if anyone has a dtek spiral in stock because they are pretty cheap nowadays. If not, a maze4 from dangerden.com will suffice.

For WC'ing, we really need pressure pumps to push the water through the water-blocks' fine channels that restrict flow. For the most part we use circulation pumps that are designed to pump massive amounts of water, but at low pressure, like the pump you linked to. (Note: Head height is a measure of back-pressure) The pump linked to puts out a measily 15" of head while my l30 puts of ~70" and the mag3 is ~110" (I think). While 15" may be fine in an aquarium, it's not in a computer where the pump's flow will drop to nothing. The Mag3 on the other hand will push water about 8 times as high and will therefore sustain greater flow, and lower temps.

Hope that's not too confusing. And yes, I do relize it's not worded very well...

u might want to look at the maxijets instead, same great company(made in italy!), better preformance.
look for the maxijet 900 or 1200 for a regular setup

u don't really need a high pressure pump
even a ehiem 1048 can achive about 1gpm with a reg. heatercore.
try to go for quality before preformance

Back