• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hometheater amplifier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

murdok5

I have a 6channel setup in my living room now. Its a yamaha htr5660 reciever, jbl E100's, S38II's, EC25 and EC35 speakers, and a Klipsh 12"sub.

Im wondering what (if any) 6 channel amplifier would be good for my setup. Im not looking for anyhting to crazy, like under $300 that would give me more power to my speakers. I think reciever has 85 or so watts/channel.

Also a quick discription of how the setup would change with this addition would help :)

Mike

What are you trying to do with it? If you want to hook it to your PC, just get 3 stereo RCA-minijack converters and plug it in, let it rip. :D

For a better amplifier, could look at HK. They might have something in your price range. Ebay is your friend for amplifiers.

yeah i see soem HK's there.....but how does this connect? do i run speaker wire out from the different channels (like now) and plug that into amp, thne plug speakers into amp with more speaker wire?

I bring my comupter out alot and hook it up to TV and jsut plug it in through optical cable to the receriver.

Mike

So you're talking of using your receiver hooked into separate outboard amps? You'd just use the RCA plugs for that duty. Otherwise anything that carries power for the speakers will have speaker wire.

what my question is, cause im still confused, if i buy an amp, i connect the speakers to the amp now, instead of the reciever correct? and then how do i connect the receiver to the amp?

i would like one amp. i jsut want more power to my speakers, tehy can handle it. amp only 85watt/channel.

Mike

Ok, you would use the "preamp outputs" to use your receiver as a preamp/volume control and your new amp to power your speakers. All you need to do is connect the two with RCA cables.

Are you having problems with the sound of the speakers? Do they not go loud enough for you? JBL are pretty easy to drive and if the 85watts spec is accurate it should be plenty. It's more than enough for the surround and rear channels for sure. You wont find a good 6 channel amp for less than $300, not one that will outperform your receiver. If you absolutely must get a separate amp, i'd recommend picking up a 2 or 3 channel amp for your fronts and center channel off of www.audiogon.com.

Yamaha recievers have decent amplifiers in them.

I dont think upgrading to HK would make much of a difference unless you have very good speakers and a great sound card.

oh yeah. well i just wanted more power without spending alot more :)

by no means am I complaining...this is the best investment i have ever made.....next to my compo of course. just curious what i could do to get even more neighbors annoyed :)

Mike

You can try running your tuner with different modes to get more bass or adjust the levels to get your mains louder, thats cheaper.The yamaha's a good unit. The JBL's are good also. You cant touch a good 6ch component amp setup for less than a grand. Same goes for the speakers, upgradeing the speakers to something that will handle the power better will really set you back even more. Thats alot of money to spend on annoyed neighbors. I have close to 4grand invested in my setup and I can annoy the entire neigborhood if I want to.:D

yeah ima leave this now...when i get outta school and a real job ill proboly end up buying some overprice receiver and speakers from a company whos name i can even pronouce and love it :)

1 last suggestion as I see you've made up your mind to stay with what you have.

How bout a nice big powered sub to add to your already existing system?

It will take the stress off of your main speakers by delivering most of the bass while letting the other speakers handle the higher frequencies,inturn giving you more total watts and volume.

And nothing but the biggest floor standing speakers can deliver the thunder that a good subwoofer can.

if you want a high power receiver
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39794&item=5701576292

JBL DCR600II 106$
100 X 5 Watts per channel, dynamic RMS power into 8 ohms at 0.08% THD, 80Hz to 20kHz (plus 100 watts into 8 ohms at 0.08% THD, 20Hz to 80Hz for subwoofer)
• Two-channel stereo mode: 100W per channel, continuous RMS power into 8 ohms at 0.08% THD, 80Hz to 20kHz
• Full-function pre-programmed remote control
• 1 Digital coax output
• 1 Optical and 2 Coax Digital inputs

Harmon Kardon owns JBL, the quality is good.

i just bought a KLH, i'm sure it's not the greatest but sure was an improvement over the creative 5.1's i was using. It's a 600w unit. Lot of nice features and i think it was an excellent deal for $150 @ BB.

J.

this summer im goin to get one of the new yamaha's ithink
5760 or 5790. they have 110watt and 140watt per channel, adn both are 7.1

Thats alot more juice than the 85watt i got now!!!

Mike

Actually Murdok its not.

In order to increase your sound level by 3 decibels you would have to double the wattage.

To double the sound level you would have to multiply your wattage ten times

So 140 watts per channel over 85 watts per channel will be barely noticable.

Last edited:
If you're gonna upgrade for power reasons only the 140 watt version might give you an extra notch before distortion kicks in at close to full volume.

Which is cool but I would upgrade for more reasons than that alone.

DONTSLEEP said:
If you're gonna upgrade for power reasons only the 140 watt version might give you an extra notch before distortion kicks in at close to full volume.

Which is cool but I would upgrade for more reasons than that alone.

better receivers have lower THD, wider frequencies, and actual output that is much closer to rated output.

That is true but more powerful does not always equal more quality.
Like I said I would upgrade for more reasons than just a little more power.

Back