• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp 1700-1800 tbred better than a mobile 2500-2600?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nocturnal714

The Lost Soul
sure the the tbred doesn't offer as much fsb but being able to oc to roughly about 2.4 on air for a chip that is rated about 1.4 is very impressive. can anyone compare these 2 chips head to head and give me some insight on which chip to use next? planning on building another rig soon. please feel free to express you own views and opinions :)

yeah, as he said, you'd get massive temps on those overclocks. you could OC the mobile barton a little higher with not that much heat problems, plus bartons are better then the tbred because of the improvemnts made on it.

pwnt by pat said:

too bad we can't have their bandwith...

To get higher memory bandwidth than the P4 QDR (quad pump data rate), you would need an A64 939 setup with 128-bit memory bus with dual channal memory controller. An A64 FX or Opteron setup would do that too.

For the same memory bus frequency, the above A64 would deliver 15-20% more memory bandwidth than that of a P4 QDR, further with lower latency due to the on-chip memory controller.

Estimation and importance of 939 platform memory bandwidth (page 19)

Also the 939 can deliver almost 90% more memory bandwidth than a 754 or a Nforce2 XP/Barton running the same memory frequency.

By % wise, the T-bred 1700/1800 are definitely king of overclockers. But you can't make a comparison like that. It's the ultimate speed that we seek. Plus the barton has 512k level 2 cache, compares to the T-bred 256 level 2 cache.

I will say that the T-bred are better overclockers, but the mobile bartons are better CPUs.

Even some XP Tbred B's such as the 1700+ DLT3C are rated FSB 133, but usually if they are put onto a Nforce2 motherboard rev 2.0, the FSB can be overclocked to 210 - 230 MHz without too much difficulty with good PC3200 or better memory modules.

At the same frequencies of FSB and CPU, the halved size L2 1700+/1800+ would performance about 5%, on the average, lower than the 512 KB L2 Barton counterpart.

This performance number difference can be extended to the A64 CPU's. That is for the same frequencies of CPU, memory and HT bus, a 512 KB L2 NewCastle performs about 5%, on the average, lower than a 1 MB L2 ClawHammer.

it's true, a tbred b is pretty overclockable by fsb, I had mine pushed to 215x11.5 @ 1.85 stably, but it was idling at 58 degrees! that's no good on air, so I had to kill it and cut it back down to 205x11.5 @ 1.7 (the bugger's a newfangled locked one)... I'm thinking of getting a mobile 2400+ though. if I can muster the currency***

*** donations are accepted ;)

Back