• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking a intel 1.6ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PHILIP1193

i want to overclock a 1.6ghz intel not sure on mobo as its my mates are they unlocked or wat not sure i have never o/ced a intel before??

Phil

This probably should of been in the Intel CPU section of the forum.

Intel multipliers are indeed locked. Whether you can overclock depends on what motherboard is being used. Some do not allow FSB adjustments.

There are two different 1.6 CPUs.

1) The 1.6 Willamette has 256k cache and default vcore of 1.75v. This one is not that great of an overclocker, but sometimes can be ran at 1.8 to 2 gig with decent cooling and components.

2) The 1.6A Northwood has 512k cache and default vcore of 1.5v. This one is a great performer and overclocker. Running it at 133 FSB (2.13 gig) is a no brainer. Often they'll go much higher with good cooling.

I have a 1.6 northwood running 140 fsb for like 2230 mhz on stock heatsink fan albeit with excellent case cooling. (200 cfm)

Back